Boot-Up problem in Windows XP

scouser 14:00 27 Feb 09

Thanks to Poitier and PO79 for answering my thread on the 24th Feb. But the problem is still unresolved. To answer Poitier's question I bought a new XP disc because the machine came from Mesh with Windows installed and I only got a re-boot disc. I wanted to start from scratch.
I reformatted and installed XP and everything was fine until Service Pack 3 downloaded.
I still cannot get past the first black screen that tells me what drives I have installed and completes the memory test, I also get the bleep to say everything is OK, then the cursor keeps blinking. F8 has no effect, so I cannot get into Recovery Mode. Putting the XP disc in the PC again brings nothing up on the screen. Pressing the reset button brings up the BIOS but I cannot get into ether Safe Mode or Recovery Mode.
I have contacted the help section in Microsoft but they only tell me to try what I cannot do.
Has anyone else any suggestions to get the PC going? Many thanks and Help!

Sea Urchin 14:03 27 Feb 09

It would be much better to post this on your original thread. We don't know what Poitier's question was, or even what your original problem was.

Poitier 16:28 27 Feb 09

hi,
Unfortunately you had no need to buy a new disk. Most Mesh pc s have a restore to factory condition function. You jusr press F10 while booting. you will have lost that now. Even so use of the version 1 recovery disk that Mesh that mesh supplied restores a clean copy of XP like the one you bought.I do not know a lot about OEM disks but I do know that the Mesh disk installs drivers for your motherboard and I understand that OEM disks are tied to the motherboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 27 Feb 09

I still cannot get past the first black screen that tells me what drives I have installed and completes the memory test, I also get the bleep to say everything is OK, then the cursor keeps blinking

How long have you waited ? it can take an age.

if still no good after waiting over 10 minutes then the update is corrupt and you need to do a repair or a fresh install.

woodchip 16:42 27 Feb 09

Stick the CD in the Computer, Boot with it in. If it does not boot to the XP setup Screen you will need to go into BIOS and change boot order so CD drive is first boot Device. Press setup when it asks, it will then check your Hard Drive for any Operating Systems, When it finds the XP OS click it then Press R for Repair

Graphicool1 16:58 27 Feb 09

I have a Mesh PC and have a "MESH Computers Recovery CD-ROM" My PC went down - I won't go into details - it was the Sunday before last. However, since getting my MESH 7 years ago, this is the third time I've had to reinstall and or repair Windows. All from the same disk.

Poitier 17:02 27 Feb 09

During the first black screen that you see ,after the initial flash of details you should see F10 in the top lefthand corner.That is the time to press F8 to get into safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…