Boot problem with windows 98se

Dekka123 07:09 22 Jul 03

A friend of mine is having trouble booting up his computer. He is running Windows 98 se. His young son turned it off and since then when he tries to boot he gets scan disc but when its on 7% it stops and tells him he has lost his C. Drive. Has anyone any ideas please

DieSse 07:40 22 Jul 03

TRy starting in Safe Mode - If it does, there is a software ussue - if there are still problems, then there may be a real problem with the hard drive.

In either case you can press cancel on the scan disk, and the system should then carry on into Windows, and some more investigations can be done.

Diemmess 12:37 22 Jul 03

While endorsing everything DieSse has said,and you should find the answer there, it is possible and sometimes better to run Scandisk from DOS.

Get the thing sorted as DieSse has suggested first, by cancelling Scandisk with X for exit, if you like.

Much later, when scandisk is by then running normally and you have checked that your Windows Temporary files are clear, you can boot to the DOS choice (F8 on bootup) choose Command Prompt Only and at the C:> prompt type Scandisk ............. this will leave anti-virus and other background interference out of the picture.

Dekka123 14:36 22 Jul 03

Thanks very much to both of you I am sorry for the delay in answering but I have to wait until he gets home from work. Thanks again will try your suggetions as soon as I can and will let you know then

Dekka123 16:58 22 Jul 03

I have tried both your suggestons. It would not start in safe mode and when I cancelled scandisk which I started from dos it just said there was an error and the disk needed to be scanned. When I left the scan disk on it gave me the following message
Scandisk encountered a data error iwhile reading the file fat on drive c

This error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive.

Any ideas? Would a reformat do it and if you think it would could someone give me specific instructions on how to do it please. Thank you very much I would be most grateful for any help you can give me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…