Boot up problem with Win98

pkadit 18:01 25 Sep 03

I am having problems with boot up on my PC.I get a message that windows is unable to complete loading as win.com file is missing.Tried unsuccessfully to boot up in safe mode and also using start up disc. Can you help please

woodchip 18:07 25 Sep 03

If you E-Mail me from the little icon by my nickname I can send the file, it is only 25kb you can then copy the file to the Win98 startup floppy if you have one and install from a DOS prompt. If you need instructions on how to do this just ask

Switcher 18:17 25 Sep 03

You could use your start up disk to start the PC with CDRom support then reinstall windows.

There is no need to format etc .. just reinstall windows.

pkadit 18:39 25 Sep 03

pc will not start up even with cd rom support.How do i reinstall win 98 please

pkadit 18:44 25 Sep 03

Dear Switche how do i reistall when my pc will not boot up even with cd rom support.Please explain as my knowledge of pc's is poor

R4 19:01 25 Sep 03

When you boot using the Startup Disc you boot into DOS ie: at the C:\> Prompt.

If you have enabled CD Rom support you can put your Win98 CD in the CD Drive and run setup. This will reinstall windows without you losing anything.

ie: x:setup ..... where x is the cd drive.

woodchip 20:14 25 Sep 03

Why is it you have not asked for help on reinstalling the file that is missing. As that looks to be the Problem that is easy solved as I posted above the File goes in the C:\windows folder and is easy to install from a Floppy disc in DOS

woodchip 20:48 25 Sep 03

PS I have sent the file follow the instructions to load from DOS

Switcher 00:36 26 Sep 03

I understood that your problem was that you could not boot to windows. Not that you could not boot to DOS with your start up disk.

Follow R4 suggestion to reinstall windows.

If only problem is missing win.com file then suggestion by WOODCHIP will fix it.

However I think it might be a bit more complicated which is why I suggested reinstalling Windows.

pkadit 22:37 27 Sep 03

Thanks Switcher but could not reinstall windows 98 as the system would not allow me.By then however was so fed up that I used a restore disk thus losing all my data and files.May be I should have waited for Woodchip's e mail and tried what he suggested.Anyway woodchip thanks.

2020 22:49 27 Sep 03

something of a similar problem. i reloaded win98 but kept getting fatal error, and kept crashing. i have ended up reinstalling winnt4. need to know if this will allow me to install by ntl broadband which currently i use on laptop with w98
thaks in advance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…