Boot Problem Not Solved

musopoet 12:08 09 Jun 09

I recently came on this forum and requested assistance with the following thread title: 'Problems Booting Up PC'

Everytime I try to start PC I get a black screen with the following message in white letters saying:

'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key'.

I just press a key but the message keeps apppearing everytime i press a key

What's the remedy please?

I received some excellent advice. However I'm still puzzled.

I followed the most recent advice and tried to locate NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files with a search but didn't find any files! Made sure I ticked 'show hidden files and folders' and searched C:\ Drive.

I also checked my PC BIOS : 'Boot Device Priority'

I found the following:

1st boot device - floppy drive
2nd boot device - cd rom
3rd boot device - hdd 3m maxtor 6v08

Also read: 'A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding menu'

Could any of the above relate to the boot-up problem which is occuring?

Amazingly, when I exited the BIOS the PC booted up and windows and my desk top appeared!

I'm quite confused with all this and wish for assistance to solve this on-going problem.

Thanks

Terminus90 12:14 09 Jun 09

have you checked that there isn't a floppy in your floppy drive? If there isn't try changing the first boot device to the hdd and the last to your cd with the floppy drive being second and post results here

Terminus90 12:16 09 Jun 09

the fact that your pc booted up tells me that the problem is with your floppy disk drive

Sea Urchin 12:53 09 Jun 09

Why do you start a second thread - you've even confused yourself by posting on the other thread when you thought you were on this one.

It's much easier for people to try and help you if they can see all the comments/suggestions that have been made by other forum members.

jakimo 13:08 09 Jun 09

Cant find anything in PCA Mag,so you may want to try this

A comprehensive article titled "Solve PC startup problems" in the "Computer Active Magazine Issue 295" will be on sale Thursday,June 11th priced £1.79..covering both hardware & software startup problems

musopoet 13:11 09 Jun 09

I'm not confused at all 'Sea Urchin' - apart from the problem with my boot up procedure.

Quite simply, I'd had no response to my last posing on the alternative thread so I started a new one.

I also state the thread title - 'Problems Booting Up PC' - of the alternative thread at the beginning of this thread (if you care to read) to assist any member wishing to offer me advice.

DieSse 13:46 09 Jun 09

What other thread - please post a link to it.

DieSse 13:49 09 Jun 09

Is sounds on the face of it that you've got a floppy disk or a CD-ROM in the system.

As suggested above, change your first boot device to the hard drive - does it boot then?

Have you got "Boot other device" Enabled - if not, then enable it.

musopoet 14:03 09 Jun 09

DieSse

Title of the other thread is:

'Problems Booting Up PC'

As I've already stated twice!

scotty 14:16 09 Jun 09

musopoet,

This forum has many generous members who freely give of their time to help. There are a number of step you can take to make their task easier. Firstly, it confuses the issue if you create multiple threads for one problem. However, now that that has happened, it would help if you could locate the original thread, copy the address from the address bar and create a post to this thread with the link to the original. Otherwise, every person who tries to help has to search for your other thread.

For future occassions, you can post to your thread to bring it back to the top of the list. This is a better than creating a new thread.

If you can help us in this way, we will be more able to help you.

DieSse 14:24 09 Jun 09

Please post a LINK to the thread.

When viewing the thread, copy the title from the browser address bar and paste it into this thread - this saves helpers having to hunt around for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017