Boot up problem - 'No PT'

the-george 00:04 26 Sep 03

Have just freshly installed Win98 ( previous installation worked fine). Also had win 2000Pro as dual boot and there was a non DOS partition ( Commander 6). Did a full fdisk removing all non/ext/log/dos parts, created 2 parts 50/50. Format/s then installation which went Ok.

On boot up, after looking for system on floppy/IDE 0 message appears 'No PT, insert disk, press any key'
I press a key and it looks again at floppy then IDE 0 and loads as normal. Sems to work ok but repeats process next time around.

What is No PT? How do I correct it?

woodchip 00:15 26 Sep 03

Try FDISK/MBR from DOS prompt

the-george 14:51 24 Oct 03

Figured out that No PT meant no partition table.
The machine, which is a P166, did not seem to recognise the disk as more than 8gb.
As it was a Maxtor and I had a Maxtordisk utility I used this and created 3 partitions as before. Both recognised and the system now runs with dual boot 98/2000.
I suspect it must have been a BIOS limitation that caused the problem - whatever it was it is now fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…