Boot Up Problem: Graphics Card Issue?

MrSheen 18:57 22 Apr 06

Hi
I've just moved my PC in my room, having a bit of a spring clean and while I was at it I thought I'd give the inside a bit of a clean with one of those Air in a can things. Loads of junk came out of the fan and stuff. Plugged everything back in and booted it up, all goes well until after the black XP screen, after which my monitor turns off. The PC still boots up to windows cos I can hear it. I've tried switching everything off for a few hours and same thing. The 1 thing that might be responsible is when I 1st tried to boot up on the 1st bios screen a message came up that said a new cpu was installed and i need to go to setting to change things. I went to set up during the boot and the date and everything had been reset. Can anyone suggest anything? I'm really stuck now. It seems that the the monitor works fine until Windows kicks in. Any help would be something!
Thanks all

Chris

jimv7 19:03 22 Apr 06

Try reseating the graphic card, it might have unseated during cleaning.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 22 Apr 06

"I went to set up during the boot and the date and everything had been reset."

You may have dislodged the CMOS battery, make sure it is in securely. CMOS Battery
click here or
click here

Boot to BIOS and select load default values and reset BIOS date and time.

MrSheen 19:39 22 Apr 06

Ive checked the battery and thats in securely. Ive removed the graphics card completely and reseated it. ive restored default settings in bios.
Anything else I could be missing??

Thanks again for you guys helping out!

woodchip 19:47 22 Apr 06

As above check your BIOS settings

MrSheen 19:54 22 Apr 06

not really sure what i need to be looking for in my bios settings. ive changed it from pci to agp cos thats what graphcs card is. other than that dont know what i might need to change.

GaT7 20:29 22 Apr 06

Boot into Safe Mode, then change the display resolution. G

woodchip 21:54 22 Apr 06

Yes could be the above

MrSheen 01:15 23 Apr 06

have booted into safe mode but when i change the resolution it doesnt apply the changes to the display. tried rebooting after the changes but the problem still persists. I'm downloading the latest drivers for my graphics card and will see what difference they make!

MrSheen 01:44 23 Apr 06

Used a restore point and everything seems to work now! funny how leaving it for a few pints can help clear the mind! Thanks for all your help!

goonerbill © ® 01:46 23 Apr 06

have you checked the fan on the graphics card? is it running, as when you used the air in a can, you could have maybe blown something into it and its stopping the fan from turning and overheating the card which will shut down, just a thought.

also check AGP slot, as any dirt or fluff in there can affect the card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…