Boot Problem - AGAIN!

musopoet 12:54 21 Jun 09

I recently came on here and received some excellent advice regarding boot problem - this is the link:

click here

The problem, I thought, was resolved. However, the following has occured and resulted in my PC failing to boot:

Booted up my PC and inserted a CD-ROM - My PC had to be restarted to complete installation. I restarted PC leaving a USB Pen Drive in a USB Port.

This time the PC failed to boot - a message on the screen read: 'No bootable partition table'

I entered the Bios - Boot Device Priority and found that the USB Pen Drive F:\ was in primary position as 1st boot device.

I shut down, took out the Pen Drive and rebooted then read a message on the screen asking me to: 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

I entered the Bios again hoping to find the 'hdd maxtor 6v08' which enabled me to successfully boot when chosen as the 1st boot device on the last occasion when faced with problems. However, on this occasion I was left with the choice of floppy drive, cd rom or hard drive ( no mention of the maxtor).

I chose 'hard drive' as first boot but on each
occasion I've been faced with the message: 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

I have 2 hard drives - one for the Operating System, etc and one for audio files.

When I first turn the PC on the screen reads:

Auto detecting primary master - ATAPI cd-rom
Auto detecting pri slave - not detected

When I entered the Bios Main the screen reads:

Primary IDE master - (name of my dvd drive)
Primary IDE slave - not detected
Secondary IDE master - not detected
Secondary IDE master - not detected
Secondary IDE slave - not detected
First SATA - not detected
Second SATA - not detected

The numerous 'not detected' messages leave me a little worried and wondering if they are related to the boot up problem?

rawprawn 13:08 21 Jun 09

Check the connections on your Maxtor HDD at both ends.

Shark boy 13:23 21 Jun 09

I would do what rawprawn suggests. It sounds here like the BIOS has not been able to detect your hard drives.

musopoet 17:52 21 Jun 09

Checked the connections - look okay. Got to be something else that's causing the problem.

woodchip 18:50 21 Jun 09

You need to run Repair Starting Computer with the Operating System CD in the Drive, CD as First boot device followed by Hard Drive. On Starting select to setup windows then it will search the drive for a Operating System and it should show that it as found one, click on the one it found then press R for repair. You will need to download all MS updates after

musopoet 19:06 21 Jun 09

Wouldn't I have to go to the Bios first and make sure that cd drive is first boot choice?

Also, I have a problen with downloading all MS updates - - I don't have internet access on the PC - only on this one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 21 Jun 09

if you cannot get the BIOS to detect drives.

Check /change cables

reset BIOS to default settings and retry.

musopoet 19:35 21 Jun 09

How do I set the BIOs to default settings?

Is it worth running Repair with the OS Disc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 21 Jun 09

How do I set the BIOs to default settings?

there will be an option in the BIOS menu

Is it worth running Repair with the OS Disc?

No, because you can not see a drive or op system to repair.

musopoet 20:21 21 Jun 09

Okay - I went into 'boot device priority' in the Bios and set to default settings and still got the message 'reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

musopoet 13:55 23 Jun 09

Still no joy with this problem - I'm thinking of re-installing Windows XP to solve this issue.

What's the pros and cons of re-installing in relation to this boot-up problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…