Boot up problem

Paraaanoid Android 17:48 25 Jul 03

I have a second PC which is on a peer to peer network with my main PC. The second machine runs an AMD K6-2 with 196Mb of SDRAM on a Chaintech CT-5AGM2 motherboard with a VIA MVP3 Chipset.
The problem I have is that I installed a CD RE writer on the PC. I started to install NERO software and the PC locked up, making a CTRL-ALT-DEL restart essential.Since this happened, the PC will start to boot up as far as the System Configurations page, will display this information and then locks up at the following point, "VERIFYING DMI POOL DATA"
I suspect that this is a windows software failure that has corrupted the BIOS.
I have checked all the BIOS settings using the motherboard manual and checked the Chaintech website, but obviously any downloaded updates are U?S cos the machine won't boot up.

Any Ideas please folks???

Gaz 25 17:54 25 Jul 03

click here

click here

click here

All of these refer to your problem.

You dont say which version on windows but I assume 98, though some are for other OS, but they should still work.

Good luck and let me know the results.

Gaz 25 17:55 25 Jul 03

click here

click here

click here (Win98)

Regards,
Gareth

Paraaanoid Android 10:52 27 Jul 03

Thank you Gareth for the links, I shall be looking at them today to try and solve this boot up problem. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy

Paraaanoid Android 18:48 27 Jul 03

I tried the suggestions in the links, but to no avail. Looks like the motherboard is U/s as the BIOS seems corrupt. Hopefully the hard drive will be re-usable when I build a new system after I get back from my Holidays. Thanks Gareth for the suggestions they were very informative.

Andy

woodchip 18:55 27 Jul 03

Software cannot get at the BIOS, try starting in safe mode by keep pressing F8 when bootimg up the comp

woodchip 18:59 27 Jul 03

you could also try start with Win98 floppy disc at A:\> type Scanreg/Restore choose an old date older the better. Then restart comp with floppy, At a:\> type FDISK/MBR just as you see it and press enter restart and see if you get into windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…