Boot-up problem

scouser 13:53 24 Feb 09

I have a Mesh Matrix-3 (Matrix A1000-WS) PC and as it is 8 years old and getting very slow I purchased a brand new copy of Windows XP (Home Edition) which reformatted the drive and installed the O/S. Everything went fine until Service Pack 3 downloaded automatically and after that, on the next re=boot it just hung on a black-screen after the memory test etc with a flashing cursor.
I pressed the re-set button the computer and the BIOS screen came up with the following message:
"During the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU external speed setting. Your system is now working in safe mode Bus: 100 MHZ, Dram: 100 MHZ PCI:33 MHZ. To optimize the system performance & reliability make sure the CPU speed confirms to the specification of your CPU."
I have not touched the BIOS in any way, so how has this happened and how can I fix it? Also how do I get into safe mode and how would that help me?
I have a Athlon ATX Motherboard and an Athlon AMD 1 GHZ CPU installed.
Many thanks for any help.

Poitier 14:44 24 Feb 09

Hi,
With Mesh computers you normaly get into safe mode by pressing F8 but not until late in the boot sequence. It is when F10 appears in the POST screen(about two thirds through) I am curios as to why you bought a new copy and did not reinstall the original.

PO79 14:54 24 Feb 09

It is a known problem with AMD cpu's and SP3. Have a good long read here for solutions, fixes and workarounds.

click here

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…