Boot problem..

herbie53 19:38 19 Jan 09

Hello, until just now my configuration was as follows:

Drive 1: IDE 80GB Windows XP and Ubuntu
Drive 2: IDE 20GB Windows 7

I just installed a new PCI IDE controller and now it won't boot. I got the Windows 7 Bootloader with the list of OSs, but none worked. I booted from my XP disc, ran the recovery console, and I think I have overwritten the boot sector with the XP bootloader, but now I get INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER errors. I have tried disconnecting disk 2 and I have taken out the new drive controller, but to no effect. When in the recovery console, when I try bootcfg, it says no Windows was found. I also cannot do dir c: from this command prompt either, it says the drive could be corrupt.

Any Ideas?
I just need to boot XP, hopefully from there I can reinstate and fix the Windows 7 Bootloader.

Thanks

herbie53 20:03 19 Jan 09

Spec is:

AMD Sempron 2600+
2GB DDR
nVidia 6600 LE
755-a2 motherboard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 19 Jan 09

TRy
fixMBR and fixboot from the command prompt.

woodchip 21:48 19 Jan 09

Looks like you need to run XP repair from the CD

herbie53 21:58 19 Jan 09

Tried those commands, but couldn't read the disk. I've slaved the drive on another system, it was wiped, with only an empty 10MB FAT partition. Good job I backed up! Now to reimage...

herbie53 16:22 21 Jan 09

I have reimaged now, and the PC will boot with the OS disk in as the IDE master on the motherboard, but when I try to use the new drive controller, it won't boot. This is the configuration I would like ideally:

Motherboard IDE 1 Master:1st HDD (XP)
Motherboard IDE 1 Slave:CD/DVD-ROM
Motherboard IDE 2 Master:2nd HDD (WINDOWS 7)
Motherboard IDE 2 Slave:CD/DVDRW
PCI Drive Controller 1 Master:3rd HDD (data)
PCI Drive Controller 1 Slave:
PCI Drive Controller 2 Master:
PCI Drive Controller 2 Slave:

With no drives connected, just the controller, its fine. Like this:

Motherboard IDE 1 Master:OS drive
Motherboard IDE 1 Slave:CD/DVDRW
Motherboard IDE 2 Master:
Motherboard IDE 2 Slave:
PCI Drive Controller 1 Master:

With one drive (without an OS, just files) on the controller, I get a missing file error, something like NTOSKRNL.EXE MISSING. Like this:

Motherboard IDE 1 Master:OS drive
Motherboard IDE 2 Slave:
PCI Drive Controller 1 Master:3rd HDD (data)

If I plug my main OS hard drive into the drive controller, I get the XP boot screen, then BSOD telling me to remove any new drives or drive controllers. Like this:

Motherboard IDE 1 Master:
Motherboard IDE 2 Slave:
PCI Drive Controller 1 Master:OS drive

So I cannot boot using the drive controller! It seems that it is defaulting to booting from a drive on the drive controller, which I cannot change, but I cannot boot in this way, even when my main drive is on the drive controller! I wonder if putting the OS drive on the controller then doing an XP repair install would do the trick?

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…