Boot-up Problem

User-1015816 15:10 06 Jun 08

I have an Advent T9201 Desktop PC running Windows XP, which I have owned for almost three years. Recently however, it has been experiencing severe boot-up problems. Every time I turn it on, the power supply seems to cut off in the boot-up process. This occurs seemingly at random, at any time between when I press the power button, and the log-in screen shows up.

Once the computer is logged in, it runs fine and normally, with no apparent problems. I have run both the Scan disk option and scanned for viruses, etc several times with nothing showing up.

A technician came to my home to look at it, and gave it a good clean inside, which resolved the problem. However, it happened again after a few weeks, and now nothing I do seems to stop it. The technician insinuated that my motherboard was old and in a year or so may die a natural death, so to speak. However, I am not ready to give up on it yet, particulalrly as aside from this niggling annoyance, it works beautifully.

Please help me!!
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 06 Jun 08

power supply seems to cut off

Assume everything goes dead no leds no noises etc.?

Typical symptoms of a dying PSU, heaviest load is at start up.

Borrow or buy another more powerful PSU, don't skimp, this is how manufacturers save money PB and DEll PSUs are notoriously poor.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

User-1015816 16:05 06 Jun 08

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the original PSU was replaced a while ago when the problem first occurred, and that did nothing to resolve the problem. Admittedly, I got the replacement PSU from an acquaintance of mine, and it is obviously second-hand and of indeterminate age and quality. Could that still be the cause of the problem? If so, can I go off the replacement PSU specs if I need to get another new one?

User-1015816 16:08 06 Jun 08

P.S. I should also mention that I am complete novice in all matters relating to computer hardware, hence the above!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5