boot up problem

A friend of mine has a pentium 111 running windows 98.
Everything was fine until recentley when he signed up for a Broadband connection. when he switched on next time he found that his machine wouldn't boot up. I happen to have a floppy boot disc for windows 98 and loaded it hoping to be able to start up in safe mode to check a few things out but after selecting safe mode all I got was the command promt. Even after typing in scandisc it said it was unable to scan because of something to do with Himen files. As you can probably guess I am no expert but I would like to help him if I can.

User-312386 16:58 12 Feb 06

at dos prompt type scanreg/fix

After the fix and you just get a flashing cursor type exit

Thanks Madboy I'll give it a try.

Well Madboy,
I tried that but no luck, it still said about himen files needed.I did however type in scanreg/restore. which came up with several options to restore a previous reg config.I chose one and thought I was on a winner when it completed successfuly. But when I restarted I was back with the command promt.

They still can't get their computer up and running. Does anybody have any other ideas that I could try for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…