boot up problem

A friend of mine has a pentium 111 running windows 98.
Everything was fine until recentley when he signed up for a Broadband connection. when he switched on next time he found that his machine wouldn't boot up. I happen to have a floppy boot disc for windows 98 and loaded it hoping to be able to start up in safe mode to check a few things out but after selecting safe mode all I got was the command promt. Even after typing in scandisc it said it was unable to scan because of something to do with Himen files. As you can probably guess I am no expert but I would like to help him if I can.

User-312386 16:58 12 Feb 06

at dos prompt type scanreg/fix

After the fix and you just get a flashing cursor type exit

Thanks Madboy I'll give it a try.

Well Madboy,
I tried that but no luck, it still said about himen files needed.I did however type in scanreg/restore. which came up with several options to restore a previous reg config.I chose one and thought I was on a winner when it completed successfuly. But when I restarted I was back with the command promt.

They still can't get their computer up and running. Does anybody have any other ideas that I could try for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017