Boot up problem

shakes 23:08 21 Feb 05

My PC will on numerous occasions fail to boot up. the monitor check is ok and i can hear the pc making the usual noises, but it will not start the boot up routine. After several tries, it will start but then sometimes, after maybe an hour or two the screen will go very hazy with horizontal lines and the pc freezes

Jeffers22 23:35 21 Feb 05

What beeps do you get from the POST routine when the boot process halst? Are they any differnet from a successful boot first time?

curlylad 01:32 22 Feb 05

Can you boot into safe mode ?

dazza39 09:11 22 Feb 05

Try running the Recovery Console in XP to check boot up routine and if necessary do a BOOT/REBUILD.

Jeffers22 09:49 22 Feb 05

"No beeps at all just the screen saying "your monitor is ok check PC or leads" and it wont start in safe mode either."

There are a couple of things I think you should check.

1. Is the monitor cable securely plugged in and fastened at both the monitor and graphics card ends?

2. Is the graphics card itself securely seated. I would suggest physical removal and replacement of the card.

I don't think it's a RAM problem - there would be beeps. If either of the above don't sort the problem, please post back.

For future reference, it is best to post replies here (scroll down to bottom of page and use "add new response" box) so that others may see and possibly comment rather than using the email envelope.

Jeffers22 09:51 22 Feb 05

If you have another monitor cable (or access to another monitor if cable is integral) try that on your PC - perhaps borrow from a friend?

curlylad 11:16 22 Feb 05

Are you using XP ?

Run the system file checker , using this option can eliminate corrupt files as a problem so helping us pin point the source.Start , run , type sfc /scannow , click OK .

Get back to us when you have done this.

curlylad 11:45 22 Feb 05

I am starting to think this is a power supply problem.Turn off PC , then physically take out ALL the leads going in and out of your PC including to monitor and re attach them making sure they seat fully into the appropriate slot.

Also open up your PC and clean all the dust off the power supply unit using a vacuum , really give it a good going over,be very careful not to touch or dislodge or unseat anything as this may cause other problems.

Is your fan running ?

shakes 18:30 22 Feb 05

Thanks for all the replies.

I am using windows 2000 and I am trying ALL the suggestions, i have borrwed another monitor and as soon as my wife tells me where we keep the vacuum cleaner, she'll give it a good clean!! I'll keep you posted...thanks again

Jaymz87 18:41 22 Feb 05

lol, sorry about all caps title, but it's not a good idea to put a Vacuum Cleaner over your PC components :P

Anyway, just an idea on the power supply theory, if you try removing all the cards (graphics card, sound card etc) physically from the m/b, and see what happens, if you get any further, it is either a problem with your power supply, or with one of the cards you removed.

So if that is the case, try adding one card at a time, and single out which card it is.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

curlylad 00:47 23 Feb 05

"but it's not a good idea to put a Vacuum Cleaner over your PC components :P"

Do we just let the dust build up and up and up until there is enough to get that hot that it kindles and eventually ignites and burns not only your PC up but your garage and nearly your home ? Maybe you think my scenario is over the top , sadly not as this happened to a colleague who neglected his PC in this way and was then given the suggestion by our I.T engineer to do this but very carefully.

In my third posting on this thread , second paragraph I state "be very careful not to touch or dislodge or unseat anything as this may cause other problems" I reiterate this again.I can understand your point Jaymz87 to a degree but there should not be a problem with removing excess or built up dust with a vacuum cleaner as long as great care is taken , you can now even purchase mini battery powered vacuum cleaners for this very task !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…