Boot Problem

coolteentom 20:50 25 Jul 04

I have just reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98se on my PC.

It was working fine for the first few days, but suddenly, I have got a message at the DOS startup saying:

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device files, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated program using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the apllication associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vnetsup.vxd - Press a key to continue."

Then if I press a key, I get the same message, except with 'vredir.vxd - Press a key to continue'.

If I press a key again, I get the same message with 'dfs.vxd - Press a key to continue'.

When I press a key again, DOS exits, and Windows begins to load, but then an error window comes up saying:

"Unable to load the dynamic link library : msnp32.dll

The system cannot find the file specified.

Some or all of the following features is not available: Microsoft Network"

Has anyone got an idea of what is wrong here?

Thanks for your help,

tom

coolteentom 20:54 25 Jul 04

Sorry, forgot to mention that after the error window, Windows loads fine.

sil_ver 20:57 25 Jul 04

This any help? click here

coolteentom 22:40 25 Jul 04

Many thanks Sil_ver, the link you gave me seems to have solved it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…