Boot up problem

Rich84 14:20 09 May 04

For the last few days I've been experiencing problems booting up. When I start the computer there is a prolonged delay (sometimes indefinite) before my monitor comes to life and the normal boot up begins. Sometimes I have to turn off at the mains and try again. Once up and running I can restart without any problems. I haven't loaded any new software recently, I've run up to date virus scans and I 've tried some selective start ups without any change. I'm running W98. Any ideas anyone?

LastChip 14:48 09 May 04

Have you run Scandisk recently and performed a Defragmentation?

A starting point perhaps?

You could also try hitting F8 on startup, and using a Step-by-step confirmation to find out what's causing the hanging. But be patient, it's a time consuming method!

Rich84 14:56 09 May 04

I've run scandisk and defrag recently. I don't think hitting F8 is going to help me because the delay or halt occurs prior to this point. Once the first sign of a boot up appears on the screen, everything happens normally. Please advise if you think that doesn't make sense!

woodchip 14:58 09 May 04

It sounds like PSU or Hard Drive Problem

Rich84 15:08 09 May 04

How can I find out whether it is either of these?

alnwrd 15:21 09 May 04

Have you checked the bios settings to see if any settings could be improved, or thought about updating the bios?

woodchip 15:22 09 May 04

If you have or can get a spare PSU try by changing it. Its easy to do for the hard drive you can get programs to check your drive, but you may have one running if its within the last about three years old. Its called S.M.A.R.T. to find out if it is running first watch the boot screen to see if you can see it as it boots, it’s a program that warns of hard a drive problem before it fully happens. Well that's how its supposed to work.

LastChip 15:24 09 May 04

Woodchip could well be right, but it could also be a memory problem. There are memory checkers available. click here for one.

One possibility, is if you have two sticks of memory, remove one at a time and see if the problem stops. You will probably find that slot 0 (or 1, depending on how they are numbered) needs to have memory in. Be careful to take static electricity precautions when handling memory.

Can you explain exactly when the hang occurs please?

Rich84 16:39 09 May 04

Thanks for all your help. I went into the bIOS setup and loaded the best performance settings and this seems to have fixed the problem. I couldn't see which settings it had changed, but it did load up at least one program on start up that had previously been disabled. Incidentally, SMART was present but disabled. Should I have that enabled or not?

woodchip 16:55 09 May 04

Yes enable it it will give you some warning if things are about to go wrong with your drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…