boot problem

hellred 16:59 14 Mar 04

Hello

Can nyone tell me how to fix the following problem please.

I had several OS installed Win 98 Win XP Win Adv Server, on start up i always had a screen asking which OS to boot to. Now however for some strange reson i ask to boot to Win 98 and i get an error message saying somthing boot ****, whatever.

I can still acsess Win XP and explore all the drives etc, but i need to get to win 98 as all my main software and e-mails etc are stored there, i only used Xp to mess around and see how it all functions.

Does anyone know how i can get back there and boot to Win 98 again ??

Thank you

powerless 17:03 14 Mar 04

Gives us the full message it gives you.

somthing boot ****, whatever. - is not much to go on.

LastChip 17:04 14 Mar 04

Can you still access XP?

hellred 17:25 14 Mar 04

I can still accsess XP and boot to it, thats how i am sending these messages, i will now reboot and make a note of the exact message i get, thanks

hellred 17:36 14 Mar 04

When booting the PC i get the choice:

Windows XP
Windows Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows

Now Win 98 is the bottom one when i select that option the message comes up as follows:

I/O Error Multi(0)Disk(0)Partition(1)/ Bootsect.dos

Then The PC freezes and i have to re-boot, when i select XP it boot normal.

I have two Hard Drives:

C = Win 98
D = Partiton 1 D
D = Partiton 2 E

The way i see it the system is trying to boot to a partition where the selected OS does not exist, how do i fix this and get it to point to the C Drive.

Thanks

LastChip 18:04 14 Mar 04

It's probably your boot.ini file.

Make sure you have opted to see "hidden files" and make a backup of boot.ini . You will find it in the root of you boot drive, presumably C:

Open the file in an editor, Wordpad will do and look for a line;

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

If it's not there, put it there, exactly as written with quotes. (This is assuming '98 is on C:, if not replace the drive letter as appropriate).

Now try a reboot and see if you can get back into '98.

hellred 18:47 14 Mar 04

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

AS you can see it says that as you described, however i cant boot to C, why ???

LastChip 19:21 14 Mar 04

The way your boot.ini files reads, you have Win XP as your default operating system, loaded on C:. But also, you are supposed to have '98 on C: further, it suggests your Windows Advanced Server is also on the same partition. Surely not?

Please explain the partitions (drives) you have loaded these systems to.

Is this a RAID configuration?

hellred 20:00 14 Mar 04

I have two hard drives on this system:

1st Drive 4.3 gig C has Win 98 installed

2nd Drive 40 gig 2 partitions D, E

Partion D has Windows Advanced server and XP installed

Partion E has only data from C on it.

No Raid.

LastChip 21:10 14 Mar 04

This is a complex question and I had to refer to some information and carry out some experiments on my spare machine.

First, on reflection your boot.ini file is OK.

Second, I've been trying to find a way around booting into '98 without screwing up the rest of the system, sadly without success.

It appears the cause of your problem is a corrupted boot sector which can probably be repaired, but will block your other two systems in the process.

LastChip 21:23 14 Mar 04

Not easy, but take it steady strictly in order and you should be OK click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…