Boot problem

Octoz 16:25 29 Feb 04

Have dual OS's. Win 98 on C:\ and winXP on second HDD.If I disconnect C: I can't access XP.
I want to replace C:\ with new larger HDD as a straight swap and no longer need win98.
How can I do this? Feeling really dense but cannot work it out.

Many thanks to any who respond.

LastChip 16:53 29 Feb 04

I guess from your post, when you boot-up, you get a menu screen asking whether you want to boot into '98 or XP.

There are essentially two things that control this process. First, the C: drive will be active, and is where, when the BIOS hands over control to the operating system, it looks for information on how to boot-up. The two components, are your Master Boot Record (MBR) held on the first sector on your C: drive and a boot.ini file, held in the root of your C: drive. If you take your C: drive away, this information is lost, and therefore, the system can't boot.

I haven't yet read of a full-proof way to overcome the problem you face. Whether if you made the D: drive active, removed C:, and then tried a repair in XP it would work, I have no idea, but any course of action like this, MUST be preceded with a full backup of all your personal files.

It may be with the scenario described, you can use the MBR fixboot command, but again, I haven't tried it, so cannot verify it would work.

hugh-265156 16:55 29 Feb 04

disconnect the windows 98 drive.

place the win xp drive on the master end of the ide cabe and set the jumpers on the disk to master.

put your new drive on the slave ide connection and set the jumpers to slave.

may be wrong but thats what i would do.

hugh-265156 16:57 29 Feb 04

ahhh.LastChip is correct i think.

try a botdisk from click here (windows98 oem works with xp)

boot with it and type "fdisk /mbr"

Octoz 18:32 29 Feb 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…