Boot up Prob

bleutrax 11:05 11 Sep 08

I have a problem with my PC in that it ‘may have’? short circuited in some way and need to resolve this issue.

I was due to clean the inside of PC as it was full of thick dust, (as it would be an issue in creating an ‘electrical circuit’) but as I was moving PC carefully (when it was still switched on) it suddenly just cut out!

I took the side panel off just to see a small amount of ‘smoke’ possibly, and I say possibly, coming from the HD Drive area?...but cannot be sure of this?

I cleaned all the dust from PC, but when I powered up the PC, and although there was power to the whole system, it would not ‘boot up’ the disk drive?...and the Monitor would power up and then power down?

Could there initially be a problem with the ‘pre-boot’ program and if so, how can I resolve this issue, but if not, would you have any idea as to what might be the cause and how to resolve

Skills 11:16 11 Sep 08

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news but hard drives really dont like being moved when they're on so it could be that your hard drive is dead.

Do you get any error messages at all?

bleutrax 12:02 11 Sep 08

No, there are no error messages...as i stated, the Monitor powers up then down straight away when the system is switched on, so i cannot see if there are error messages or not.

bleutrax 15:05 11 Sep 08

....just to add....i have tried using another HD Drive to see if system boots up, but there is nothing either?

Pineman100 18:33 11 Sep 08

How do you know that "there was power to the whole system"? Are you certain that the PSU is operational?

bleutrax 08:01 12 Sep 08

Yes the PSU is operational. Power to the board, DVD and floppy drives, and the main HD Drive (going by the light that indicates there is power to the HD Drive showing!). Thanks all for help, but i think i will have to replace the HD Drive.

baldydave 10:19 12 Sep 08

Graphics card looks a real possibility,have you got onboard graphics or spare card you can try?

baldydave 10:21 12 Sep 08

Graphics card looks a real possibility,have you got onboard graphics or spare card you can try?
If it was the drive surely you would still see the post screen.

bleutrax 10:26 12 Sep 08

yeah i agree, but if the prob was the Drive i.e pre-boot...would that still not show the post screen?

baldydave 10:27 12 Sep 08

look at southbridge chip on the motherboard near the bottom of the board about 30mm square any signs of damage eg burn marks as this can happen if the back of the board touches/earths itself to pc steel insides ie shortcircuit.

baldydave 10:35 12 Sep 08

A faulty drive should not stop the post screen showing as the drive is not loading os at this point it is checking programming the board,as post finishes the post picks first boot and goes from there.The post does check what is connected to the board ie drives but until post is finished drives sit there doing nothing until until boot.
so you should still see post on screen.
Disconnect drive turn on pc you should still see post screen it will jusy say cannot find boot/os

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…