Boot-Up Options not available.

jaycup 13:42 08 Apr 04

I have just got rid of a Trojan Virus "iosdt.exe" which loaded itself at start-up and then occupied all the processing power, such that, it showed in the Task Manager as 98%. This caused all sorts of knock on problems. Having finally managed to delete it with great difficulty I now find that all the items on my boot start-up menu are not accessible, e.g., Safe-mode; Last Good Config; etc., when I press the up/down arrows to highlight any of the options, nothing happens and the computer boots straight into Windows XP PRo. I am also unable to use the Recovery Console from the XP CD in order to try and repair things as once again it will not open the CD and boots into Windows(I have set my CD Drive as first boot device).
The only thing left to try is to do a repair/install of Windows XP from the desktop but can I do this without losing all my settings updates etc.,

AndySD 13:45 08 Apr 04

First try the System File Checker.

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

jaycup 14:45 08 Apr 04

Thanks AndySD, but sorry,false alarm, it is my keyboard (Logitec) that is the problem I only installed it last week and it appears that it is not 'useable' until I have booted up, hence I was not able to use the up/down arrows. It is a new one on me and though I am relieved it is not serious , if anyone has an answer I will be grateful. It is on a USB connection, if that helps and I have installed the Logitec Drivers.

AndySD 15:07 08 Apr 04

Boot into the BIOS/SETUP and enable either USB keyboard or enabusb legacy support

jaycup 16:29 08 Apr 04

Thanks again and you are right that is the problem, in themeantime I have re-connected the keyboard using a USB to PS2 adapter and this has solved the problem. Logitec have also confirmed the problem and this was their suggestion.
Thanks again for the quick response and your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…