Boot of new drive

TJ Macintosh 20:22 04 Apr 07

Hi there, I have just installed Windows Vista on my computer. I had two harddrives in my computer, one with Windows xp and the other wiht Vista. However now I want to format the drive wiht XP on it and use it for storage. However when I set the Drive wiht Vista on it as fist boot device, it doesnt work. I get a black screen with a message saying somehting is missing and it tells me to press CTRL ALT DEL to restart. However when I set the XP drive as first boot device it loads up with the option for me to go into XP or Vista.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to transfer some boot information onto the drive with Vista on it.
The thing is I booted of the Vista CD to install the OS, and chose which drive to install to. So this is why I am confused that I have to use the old drive as first boot device to get onto Vista.

woodchip 20:34 04 Apr 07

Vista as loaded file to the XP drive, if you formated the XP drive the files are gone that Vista needs. You should be able to repair vista as with XP if you have the full CD

TJ Macintosh 21:11 04 Apr 07

I can access all the files on the other harddrive from within the Vista OS. I didn't really understand wht you were trying to say there 'Vista as loaded file to the XP drive'. cheers for any mor ehelp u can provide./

woodchip 21:31 04 Apr 07

I thought you said you formated the XP drive! How did you set Vista as First boot Device? in BIOS or what

TJ Macintosh 22:55 04 Apr 07

No sorry I had a dual boot for a few days, where I could choose which OS to boot into and I owuld get the 30second menu where i CAN SELECT visTA or XPP. Both are on seperate hard drives. However to get this option up I need to select the DRive with Windows XP on ti as first boot device. When I select the drive with Vista on it, it doest work, its says theres an error and it kind find somehting, and it says press ctrl alt del to restart.

No sorry I had a dual boot for a few days, where I could choose which OS to boot into and I owuld get the 30second menu where i CAN SELECT visTA or XPP. Both are on seperate hard drives. However to get this option up I need to select the DRive with Windows XP on ti as first boot device. When I select the drive with Vista on it, it doest work, its says theres an error and it kind find somehting, and it says press ctrl alt del to restart.

sorry for double post

woodchip 22:59 04 Apr 07

Will F5 or F8 give you a choice of boot?

TJ Macintosh 23:03 04 Apr 07

no nothing works when I try to select vista drive as first boot device in Bios.
It doest load anythign as if theres nothing on the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…