boot loop

lindamay 18:39 31 Jan 09

have an advent t9102 starts to boot then gets to the option of starting in safe mode or normal whichever i choose it goes back and boots to the same choise have tried pressing f10 on start up as this is supposed to get into the recovery sector but has no effect and i do not have any recovery disc
would be gratefull for any suggestions

lindamay

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 31 Jan 09

Assuming XP

Borrow a CD and do a repair
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Switcher 19:09 31 Jan 09

^

lindamay 11:09 01 Feb 09

thanks for help so far but have tried putting a windows xp disc in it loads the files and then stops. telling me windows has shut down to prevent damage and gives the following message
stop:0x0000007e (ox0000005, oxf853cobf, oxf8988208, oxf8987f08

pci, sys address f853cobf base at f8535000 datestamp3b7d855c

this means nothing to me but sounds as if there is a serious proplem
ps on start up it sometimes gets as far as the windows logo the bar below starts up to three blue marks and then goes back to reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant