Boot into Linux from Installation disk?

powerless 23:29 23 Jan 04

I have a Laptop with Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 9.2 configured as a dual booter.

As a personal thing I just want to get rid of the Linux boot loader and boot direct into Windows XP. (I know how to do this)

Now if I had a floppy disk drive I could use a linux boot disk to allow a boot into Linux.

But no floppy disk drive on this baby so is it possible to boot into Linux from the installation CD?

Boot: A command here maybe, when booting from the installation disk?

Reversal: I know it is possible to add Linux to the XP boot loader, anyone come across CLEAR instructions?

Chegs ® 23:35 23 Jan 04

click here

Here you go,if this isn't clear enough just go google and search for "add Linux to the XP boot loader"

powerless 23:53 23 Jan 04

Like i said CLEAR instructions, lol me dont Linux as well as me Windows. And creating partitons, well as i have just formatted and have the system setup puuurrrfectly. I do not want to go that route...

Unlesss there is another way, i'll just forget it...

But boot linx from the CD?

Chegs ® 00:51 24 Jan 04

Do you not posses a copy of Partition Magic then?

Chegs ® 00:54 24 Jan 04

posses= Possess

Chegs ® 01:14 24 Jan 04

Been off reading several pages on adding Linux boot loader to XP/2000 and so far they all state you need Partition Magic(although you can use fips,click here)

powerless 02:34 24 Jan 04

PM = Nope.

Chegs ® 02:58 24 Jan 04

click here

click here Partition Resizer,only the site refused to load just now.

Chegs ® 03:00 24 Jan 04

click here

click here Partition Resizer,only the site refused to load just now.

Chegs ® 23:07 22 Feb 04

Apparently,you can use the command "linuxrescue" and boot from Linux install cd,but never used it so dunno what to do next.There are several Linux boot tools on the Ultimatebootcd,but again I haven't tried them(but I have used several of the other tools from the cd to wipe hdd/autoclave etc)

Goycoolea 01:18 23 Feb 04

I can boot Linux using my Slackware CD by specifying the root partition: linux root=/dev/hda5

Similar things work using CD1 of my downloaded Mandrake Linux CDs. It works in a pinch; still I wouldn't use it unless desperate.

What I'm wondering is _why_. You have a perfectly good choice of bootloader in LILO and GRUB, why not set it to boot into WinXP automatically after a short delay?

Den

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…