Boot up issues

filthyphil 05:45 AM 22 Feb 13

When I start my laptop, the fan comes on but then goes a bit quieter and the laptop won't actually boot up. I do not get anything on the screen. The lights are on but nothing happening? Any suggestions to the problem?
It's an HP pavillion. Many thanks in advance

Chronos the 2nd 08:28 AM 22 Feb 13

If you type Hp Pavilion into Google you will get many models so it would help if you could post the model number.

Also is this a new problem or rather have you been having other issues prior to the laptop finally not booting?

Do you get any beeps after pressing the power button these will probably be a mixture of long and short? What operating system do you use?

The more details the better we are to try and help you.

onthelimit1 09:08 AM 22 Feb 13

If your version has a LED next to the Caps Lock, does this pulse after the initial activity? If so, it's almost certainly the mobo that's failed.

woodchip 09:43 AM 22 Feb 13

after pressing start. keep taping Del so see if it will go to BIOS instead of Del It May be like My HP Laptop F10

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:58 PM 22 Feb 13

Disconnect mains lead

remove battery

press and hold power button for 30 seconds

reconnect mains lead (leave battery off for now)

and re attempt to boot.

filthyphil 13:36 PM 22 Feb 13

Laptop is HP Pavillion DV6

onthelimit1 15:22 PM 22 Feb 13

That series has known issues with the graphics chip. The only way I've managed to cure it (in one case only temporarily) is to reflow the mobo. Not for the faint hearted, but google 'reflow dv6' if you want more info.

Chronos the 2nd 15:33 PM 22 Feb 13

Reflowing.

You are correct it is not for the faint hearted. did once with a graphics card that cost me a fiver. Bought it as faulty, reflowed it ended up with a £100+ GPU working perfectly. But it can go horribly wrong and you can completely destroy an item.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone