Boot issue with faulty HDD

lenjam 15:59 PM 19 Nov 11

I have a faulty 2nd 150 gb HDD backup which I use for various music files etc, it is 10+ years old and is now on its last legs it seems to be stopping & restarting in a cycle.How do I disable it? as it is messing up the boot sequence and I am having to go through the repair/restart and all that carry on and I can't access the content as it 'hangs.' Task Manager cannot even end the process. The files are not important and I know I will remove the faulty drive eventually. How do I disable it in the first instance?

Thanks in advance

gengiscant 16:06 PM 19 Nov 11

Open the case and remove the power cable to the hard-drive, though why you do not just remove the drive escapes me, if as you say it is on its last legs?

rawprawn 16:10 PM 19 Nov 11

As genius ant says, it would be better to take the drive out. If you want to rescue any files on it try it in an enclosure.

rawprawn 16:11 PM 19 Nov 11

Sorry gengiscant, you know what my fingers are like!

gengiscant 16:53 PM 19 Nov 11

Genius ant! I love it Rawprawn

northumbria61 17:46 PM 19 Nov 11

gengiscant - better that being an agony aunt I suppose!

lenjam 13:23 PM 20 Nov 11

Thanks Guys, ...I did eventually remove the hard drive after copying all folders. It was an interim solution I was looking for in the first instance. I didn't want to interrupt what I was doing as I was on a short timeline to deliver work I hadto complete. All good and done now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know