boot ini file corrupt

weemacs 17:47 25 Feb 06

my boot ini file is corrupt and when I try to boot up my dell inspiron 600 laptop it goes into the dell screen then loading P2 flashes up in the top left hand screen. It does this in a continuous loop. I was advised to edit my laptop bootini file and this is the result

mgmcc 18:58 25 Feb 06

Download the NTLDR.zip file from my website - click here - copy the two files it contains, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, to a floppy disk and boot with that. You should get an error message that the boot.ini file is invalid and that it is booting instead from C:\WINDOWS. It should then boot from Windows and you can re-edit the Boot.ini file.

weemacs 08:03 26 Feb 06

don't have floppy drive have copied files to cd and enabled it to boot first but no go.

ICF 08:16 26 Feb 06
  mgmcc 08:37 26 Feb 06

If the laptop has Windows XP installed in a FAT32 partition, rather than NTFS, you might be able to copy the correct Boot.ini file into the root of "C" drive using DOS. If you have another PC running XP, and both have XP in the same partition (i.e. the first partition on the hard drive), the Boot.ini files should be the same.

You would need to create a CD version of a "Windows 98 boot floppy" and also put a correct Boot.ini file on the CD. Boot into DOS with the CD and copy the Boot.ini file at the A:\> prompt into "C" drive:

A:\>copy boot.ini c:

weemacs 09:57 26 Feb 06

what is the administrtors password. I got that far but don't know the password

weemacs 10:00 26 Feb 06

copied win 98 startup files to cd and set optins to boot from cd but no go. I can get the laptop to boot from a network boot cd and change to a wokstation but when I try to get it to see other drives it can't. can boot from xp cd and go to recovery but it asks for admin password and I don't know it.

ICF 10:33 26 Feb 06
  ICF 10:35 26 Feb 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5