BOOT UP HITCH

rotormota 17:51 04 Jul 07

Hi,

A boot up issue has developed during the last 2 weeks & like all of the best glitches it is sporadic but annoying.

Symptoms: PC goes through the entire boot up process perfectly & the desktop appears with all the icons & task bar etc.. I can move the mouse cursor over the task bar & the clue that all is not well is a permanent egg timer icon when in this location. I can then click on one item either on the task bar or desktop but nothing activates & that really is it. Usually 2 or 3 boot ups are required before I get a fully functional PC but I have had to reboot 6 times on one occasion.

Thinking the problem might be a task bar/system tray start up issue I have been trying with all start up items unchecked but alas the issue continues. That said, it can sometimes boot up first time without any hitches at all.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Jules

Trackrat 18:57 04 Jul 07

If it is only 8 months old, it should still be under warranty, because the main causes of the symptons you are experiencing are normally down to faulty hard drive or memory.

rotormota 19:24 04 Jul 07

Thanks Trackrat. I'll get on to The Tech Guys who operate the warranty fault diagnosis & replacement.

tobyb121 19:24 04 Jul 07

Trackrat is right, check your warranty before doing any changes to your computer, I made the mistake of taking out my hard drive to back up the data of my old laptop when it wouldn't boot up at all, there was something wrong with the power supply, and there was a small sticker on it that voided my warranty, I would have been £400 down if it wasn't for a very nice guy that worked in pc world, who pretended that he had removed the hard drive and so keep my warranty in tact. so the moral of the story is get it checked first, recover as much data as you can, and then take it to get repaired.

rotormota 07:00 29 Jul 07

Hi,

I spoke to the warranty folk & got replacement memory but still the problem exists.

Is anyone aware of Norton in general or more specifically Norton Protection Centre causing any of the symptoms I described above?

Thanks.
J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now