Boot from hard drive.

carol_s 07:42 30 Jul 09

I have a laptop and a replacement 100gb h/d for it. The problem is the laptop will not load windows xp from the cd. Can i load xp from my desktop computer onto the h/d via a usb cable?( i have the correct caddy for using the 100gb h/d from a usb port, so when connected, the desktop recognises it as a portable drive) I did try but when i put the xp cd in the desktop computer it tries to automatically load it onto my desktop pc and i have to stop it quick. My appologies if i dont answer quickly as i am unable to access the internet throughout the day at work.

AlanHo 07:53 30 Jul 09

I do not believe Windows supports booting from an external source and is unlikely to allow you to install the operating system onto an external USB drive.

I guess you will need to install your new hard drive in the laptop and then install Windows conventionally.

carol_s 07:56 30 Jul 09

Hi AlanHo The problem is when i put the h/d into the laptop it will not allow me to install XP onto the h/d. it comes up with some message but i am at work and dont recall the message.

ronalddonald 08:47 30 Jul 09

1. why dont u write the message in your post so that we know what advice to give to you

this would help us to help you to resolve the issue, were not in not front of your computer screen and we cant guess what the problem is until you write here in your post,

InTheCity 09:25 30 Jul 09

is the replacement for a dead drive or an upgrade in size?.
If upgrade
something to consider is clone/restore the drive contents in its entirity with acronis true image.Alternatively if the drive is a seagate or maxtor the freeware trimmed version.click here.
Paragon also do same sort of software but havent used it.
click here

Pamy 12:13 30 Jul 09

You will have to replace the HDD in your laptop with a new one

DieSse 18:04 30 Jul 09

"The problem is the laptop will not load windows xp from the cd."

Why not? - It should do - tell us exactly what happens when you try to. Solve that and you'll be fine.

carol_s 07:13 31 Jul 09

If i use a boot disk, it goes through the motions and when i get to the A:\> i i ask it to A:\>FDISK and it says: NTLDR is missing press Ctrl+alt+Del to restart.
Now if i try to boot straight from XP cd it syas: Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your H/D you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows. The trouble is i cant create a partition because it will not let me FDISK. By the way it is a new clean 100GB H/D. If i put the H/D in a caddy and connect it to my Desktop PC via the USB, it recognises the H/D so is it possible to use the Disk management to do whatever the above is asking for? and then replace it into the Laptop.

carol_s 12:12 31 Jul 09

If anyone replies bare with me as i am unable to use the internet at work. So my reply may take a while.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 31 Jul 09

Try

Connect old drive to desktop in caddy and take a disk image of that drive click here driveimage xml will do his for free if you don't have Acronis or similar.

Connect new drive in caddy and restore image to the new drive. Use disk management to allocate / partition rest of drive.

Put new drive in laptop and check it boots ok

Strawballs 20:28 31 Jul 09

With XP you don't need to go done the fdisc etc root just set to boot from cdrom put the disc in the drive and follow instructions if the drive needs formatting it will ask if you want to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant