Boot hangs

Hugg6ear 14:19 22 Feb 06

My system will not complete the boot. It hangs in the same place 'verifying DMI pool data'. The problem started a couple of weeks ago intermittently and at different places. I guess it's a hardware problem that has now hardened up. I have disconnected drives, memory, printer and scanner. I have run the maxter stand alone test on the drives. During the boot the memory is good and the drives are displayed ok.
Are there any diagnostic tools available I can test the motherboard etc with?
Any other thoughts?

XP Pro Sp2
AND Athlon XP 2800
2 x 512mb DDR400 RAM
All in Wonder 9000 Graphics
Diamondmax Plus9 SATA Drives
- 250gb
- 120gb
Canon I865 Printer
Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner
Nec 1300A DVD +/- Dual format

Hugg6ear 17:36 23 Feb 06

I also placed this question on an US forum and received 3 replies of diag tools. Info at this link: click here

User-312386 17:42 23 Feb 06

Go in BIOS and click on Load default settings and advise if it hangs please?

To get in the BIOS start tapping the delete key, when the computer starts, when there click on load default settings and click on "Save and Exit"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 23 Feb 06
  Hugg6ear 21:30 23 Feb 06

Thanks madboy33, yes I have done that and it still hangs.

Night Ryder 21:42 23 Feb 06

DMI or "Desktop Management Interface". PC's hanging at this point could indicate that the OP system is corrupt. Has happened to me once in the past. I had to reinstall the system before it would work again. There are some tools on the windows disk which will allow you to check the hard drive. If these show no problem you've very likely got something nasty on your system .. Virus etc., In which case you will have to re install windows.

One more thing you could try is this. You will need a boot flopy disk with "Fdisk" on. Doesn't matter what system .. could be something like Win98. Run the command this way "Fdisk/mbr".
This will replace the Master Boot Record of your drive incase it has been infected with a virus.

woodchip 21:46 23 Feb 06
  woodchip 21:47 23 Feb 06

As above FDISK /MBR may sort it with a 98 booot floppy

Hugg6ear 14:38 24 Feb 06

Hi, I have completed all the tests and cannot find any problem. I also run 'Maxter PowerMax 4.22' on the drives and all is ok. So I decided to reformat and reinstall XP. When the install process got to the format task it displayed a new 8mb partition as C disk. The old C 256gb disk was reassigned D disk. I deleted the new partition and tried booting the system again and, YES, Windows booted ok! So what happened? Did fdisk/mbr create this new partition?

woodchip 16:36 24 Feb 06

No, Have you got Acronis true Image?

Hugg6ear 16:46 24 Feb 06

No, or anything simular, strange!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…