Boot up halting at sdram

Legolas 16:28 07 Mar 03

My mate has just phoned me for help, his computer is not booting into Windows, he is running Win98 and when he boots it beeps once, so thats ok, then it does the POST tests ok then it moves to another screen where it gives system info then it stops with "sdram" and a flashing cursor and will go no further. I am going up later to try and sort it any ideas anyone.

Altair 20:15 07 Mar 03

Sounds like it might be a RAM prob, try taking out 1 of the sdram modules and retry doing another one and so on until it boots OK.

Legolas 21:41 07 Mar 03

I have just returned from my mates after two hours trying to fix his computer with no joy, it starts to boot as normal and goes through the POST it checks and finds the CPU then it finds the cd-rom all as normal then halts at sdram and the cursor just flashes I tried booting to the floppy with the boot up disk but it will not boot to a floppy or to the Win 98 disk booting to cd rom I tried taking out the memory sticks and putting them back one at a time I took out and reseated all the expansion cards checked all the cables, reseated the processor nothing worked, could it be a hard disk failure although the hard drive is being recognized in the BIOS, it has me beaten.

Legolas 17:37 08 Mar 03

refresh

Rayuk 19:31 08 Mar 03

Have you tried starting insafe mode??
Hold down ctrl key when booting up.

Legolas 14:30 10 Mar 03

Cant get into safe mode menu, my mate has decided to take it to a local C

Legolas 14:32 10 Mar 03

Cant get into safe mode menu whatever key I try, thanks for the replies, my mate has decided to take it to a local Computer store so I will be interested to hear what they did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…