Boot files corrupted and hard disks not recognised

Ironman556 11:26 25 Jun 05

Hi, about a week ago I was using my PC happily, rebooted, and got a message that some system files were corrupt and booting couldn't continue. I booted from the XP CD and my SATA hard disks weren't recognised, so I had to download a driver and install when the setup stated. I fixed the problem by going to the recovery console and typing 'fixboot'. The PC has been fine since. I assumed it was just a one off.

Yesterday my uncle had the same problem. Used his PC in the morning, shut it down, booted it later and system files were corrupted and his IDE hard discs not recognised.

We're both running XP Pro, haven't downloaded anything in a while and I use firewalls and various internet security tools. I've scanned for Viruses, Trojans, Adware, Spyware etc. and found nothing. Is this just a strange coincidence or is there something else going round? Has anyone else come across the same problem recently?

gudgulf 12:13 25 Jun 05

click here

This is a very long thread from another forum but it might give you a few pointers.

If this has only happened once then it might well be coincidental that it happened on both machines.If it happens again on either of them, then you need to do some further investigation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…