Boot Failure - Win 98

Russ100 09:18 28 Mar 03

Computer crashed - message 'fatal exception'and wouldn't reboot.

Switched it off and now it won't boot at all - I get a blank screen then it goes into standby mode.

Any suggestions anyone?

expertec 09:25 28 Mar 03

It might help if you say what you've got in your computer, e.g. processor, RAM, Motherboard, Hard Drive etc. and whether you've installed any new hardawre or software recently.

MAJ 09:27 28 Mar 03

Were there any beeps on bootup, Russ100? Can you hear any sounds from the tower when you switch on, any sound from the fans or from the hard drive spinning up?. It does sound like a hardware failure, either the PSU, memory, graphics card or hard drive.

Russ100 10:26 28 Mar 03

I'm submitting this on behalf of someone else and he's not around at the moment, so I can't say what his system is.

No beeps MAJ. Fan sounds OK but there doesn't seem to be mech activity from the HDD. The red and green lights come on in the base unit but then the green one goes out.

Can't seem to get into the BIOS either - maybe I'm hitting the wrong key.

MAJ 10:52 28 Mar 03

Getting into the BIOS on Win98 is usually achieved by holding down the Delete key at bootup, Russ100. From what you've said so far, it's looking like a hard drive problem, You will probably need to open the case and check all the cables, make sure they're seated correctly on the motherboard and connected firmly to the hard drive. When you're in there see if you can hear anything from the hard drive when the PC is switched on. Also take a look to see that the CPU fan is working. Also try the hard drive in another computer as a slave to see if it can be accessed?

woodchip 10:55 28 Mar 03

Sounds to me like CPU up the spout.

woodchip 10:56 28 Mar 03

PS check inside to see if the CPU fan is still working

woodchip 10:57 28 Mar 03

The fan you hear may just be from the PSU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009