boot up failure, motherboard fault?

GuyR 09:49 22 Jun 05

I have a really annoying boot up failure that has started to occur, my machine switches off after 3 seconds of the power being switched on, BUT it can work sometimes with no problems.

I have fitted a new power unit done the standard rebuild/boot checks as described in one of the links on this board, e.g. disconnect everything drives, ram, video card etc so that I have Board, cpu, psu only and re-booted. Have had an OK (beebs)on all the stages as did this, cleaned bits before refitting, re-booted and tested at every stage eg fitting RAM, video card, drives etc and got all clear. Fully assembled machine, powered up and computer ran from 3 till 9 pm no problems at all.

This morning, tried to switch on and fault has returned, eg try to boot and immediately powers down. Motherboard is a ASRock k7s8xe, running windows xp, 2400mhz AMD processor. The other day had done a check through when fitted new power unit and machine ran for approx 20 mins before shutting down then would not re boot.

My thinking is that there must be something on the board that is breaking down once has had power to it or possibly switch not resetting when powered off? guessing here.
Anyone any clues, new board easy enough to fit if thats what is required.

pk470 09:56 22 Jun 05

Sounds like you have an overheating CPU is the fan working or does the heatsink want cleaning?

GuyR 10:03 22 Jun 05

don't think it is this as, machine ran OK for 6+ hours, all fans are running OK and have been cleaned. Machine is stone cold in morning and stops immediately have side panels off and fans all ok.

Thanks for the input though.

Stuartli 11:11 22 Jun 05

The side panels are part of the cooling process - it helps to provide the proper flow of air through the case; removing them can/could make matters worse.

Why not download Everest and check on your CPU and mobo temperatures (or through the Bios)?

Intel and AMD websites provide the maximum permissable temperature for individual CPUs (should be operating at well below the figure stated in normal use), so you will have a guide as to what is required.

Indigo 1 11:25 22 Jun 05

click here

Check your caps for damage

Indigo 1 11:27 22 Jun 05
  GuyR 15:40 22 Jun 05

Have been in touch with pc shop where buy my bits, will be trying couplof things will post back with results.,

GuyR 15:40 22 Jun 05

Have been in touch with pc shop where buy my bits, will be trying couplof things will post back with results.,

woodchip 15:50 22 Jun 05

Just a suggestion try running the CPU a 100/100 Frequence in BIOS

GuyR 15:59 22 Jun 05

but think this is going to be a temporary measure, on discussion with tech help at pc shop he suggested I disconnect the power feeed to the motherboard and see if it is OK afterwards, have done that and booted first time, BUT gave a failure on the bios as because of the boot failure had to go to setup to check settings.

Will double check after kids have played on it for a while, if comes back will try removing lead first.

Intresting that capacitor issues have been causing all sorts of issues in the past, one of mine may be breaking down but all look OK to me.

thanks for all advice, will post if problem comes back so will not close off for now.

GuyR 20:07 01 Jul 05

thanks for all the help, bought a new motherboard as going through all the checks was getting problems right at the first stages, but also getting power up problems.

have changed board and power unit but had problems with the board and setting asus not as good as asrock I had used. graphics card has also subsequently blown!

thanks again for all the help offered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…