Boot Failure with Hard drive D removed

greenkeen 15:30 10 Aug 04

My computer is running Win XP. I am looking to copy the C drive onto a new larger drive using Drive image. When I remove the existing D drive on bootup it gets as far as identifying ide drives and hangs. When operating normally with D drive in place and going into my computer to reformat D windows says it is in use and will not reformat.
Any help appreciated.

Lee Gibbons 15:43 10 Aug 04

Check the system hasn't already nominated that drive letter for a removable media drive like CD/DVD drive. You should probably nominate e: for your new drive to avoid clashes.

greenkeen 16:30 10 Aug 04

D drive is already allocated as a hard drive designation and I am just switching a new one for an old one. I have drive letters upto H allocated with G as rewriter and H as DVD drive.
Any further help please.

GORAL 21:14 10 Aug 04

My recommendation would be to connect your newer large hard drive on your Secondary IDE cable, temporarily disconnecting the re-writer and DVD drives. Connect it as "Master". Obviously check that the drives are 'Autodetected' and Save & Exit the BIOS.

cga 21:29 10 Aug 04

I agree entirely with what GORAL says about the method of copying to the new hard drive but that does not solve your basic problem - why is the removal of the D drive causing the boot to fail.

Depending on the reason you may be OK when going to the larger disk or maybe not.

Do you only have 1 (D:) partition on your secondary IDE drive?

Do you have any paging on this drive?

What do you use your D: drive for? Data?

Have you changed My Documents to point there?

These are just things I can think of that may have some impact on your problem.

pipedream 21:48 10 Aug 04

If you've got C: & D: on same IDE cable, are they configured via links on the drives as Master & Slave? This usually works fine, but I've seen something similar & fixed it by configuring both for Cable Select (CS).

woodchip 21:55 10 Aug 04

I suggest you shut the computer down then remove the drive or ribbon cable from D:\ restart computer and go strait into BIOS auto detect the drives and it should boot to windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced