Boot Failure

ventanas 11:14 01 Feb 05

One of the network machines froze this morning, so I pulled the plug and re-booted. Now it won't go any further than "Verifying DMI Pool Data"

Anyone any ideas please. Grateful for any help.

harps1h 11:23 01 Feb 05

you need to give more detail about the system and what is on it. it sounds at the moment that something is not initialised properly. also check the drives that there are no disks inserted as i have found if i have certain disks in the optical drives then my computer will not properly boot unless they are removed. at the moment this is a stab in the dark until you give more details

ventanas 11:32 01 Feb 05

I know better than to leave any disc in an optical drive. In any case anyone here found inserting any form of disc is in for it.

Basically I would like to know if it worth trying a repair, or just wiping it. Repairing would require extra work in order to slipstream SP2 with the original (pre SP1) CD.

Diodorus Siculus 11:46 01 Feb 05

Hi John, can you boot with a windows CD and try a repair from there? I seem to think however that this message comes before the recognition of drives? If so, it will be akward.

Try some of these for options:

CH000474: Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data....
click here

Computer Hangs at"Verifying DMI Pool Data"
click here

Error Message "Verifying DMI Pool Data" Occurs and the Computer Is Unavailable
click here

ventanas 12:13 01 Feb 05

Hi Dio, I've actually just been to two of the sites you point to and now have some ideas which I will try after lunch. Hopefully something like fixmbr will cure it. If not I will just have to wipe it. That'll mess up my afternoon because I've got to swap out a motherboard on another machine as well. They're dropping like flies.

I don't really want to try a repair as the CD is from the very first release of XP Pro. A good many files will have changed with the service packs, hence the probable need to slipstream first.

Thanks for the info.

ventanas 14:33 01 Feb 05

Sorted. Dio you were right, there was no way this was going to boot from CD, it doesn't get that far.

But - bios setting Load Failsafe Defaults fixed it. Hopefully it will stay fixed.

Diodorus Siculus 15:14 01 Feb 05

Thanks for the feedback. That's another solution for my memory...

ventanas 16:00 01 Feb 05

Just for the record it was caused by hardware failure. When I got back up and running it wouldn't find the network. A check in device manager showed no network devices. A check for new hardware also failed to pick it up. The motherboard network connection had failed.

Fortunately I broke up a machine just before Xmas and took out and saved the Dlink card. Put it in this machine and everythings ok now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…