Boot Failure

ami 00:06 14 Oct 03

About 3 weeks ago I installed a second Samsung hard drive to use for back-up purposes. The new drive was instantly recognised and for the first 2 weeks there were no problems at all. However, for the last week the computer has refused to boot from cold, failing to recognise either hard drive. If I switch off and do a warm boot the system starts fine, recognising all drives. I've tried changing from 'Auto' to 'Manual' recognition in BIOS but it makes no difference, the drives are shown in BIOS but on a cold boot they are still not recognised. According to the Motherboard Utility all IDE controllers are OK, the clock is not running slow and the battery voltage is shown as OK too.
I've tried changing the boot preferance order to allow the drives time to spool-up but nothing I do cures the problem.
Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.

hugh-265156 01:58 14 Oct 03

im guessing it could be somthing to do with the power supply.bump!

Tog 07:26 14 Oct 03

Reseat the drive cables, I would tend to agree with huggyg71 about power, what size/age PSU do you have and what else is on your system?

DieSse 09:37 14 Oct 03

Do you still get the same problem if you unhook the new drive before powering up?

ami 12:25 14 Oct 03

Hi All,
PSU is 3 years old, sorry I don't know what size it is, I'll check it,what would be ok?
The only other drives are a floppy and CD ROM.
I'll try re-seating cables and see what happens when I unhook the new drive, I'll report back.
Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…