boot fails at splash screen

Rayspan 09:19 AM 29 Sep 11

Running Win7 ult. At boot up, system displays Gigabyte splash screen and hangs. BIOS et.c inaccessible. Prior to this, sometimes it would load win7, then hang. Now stuck on splash. Hardware . . . or virus?

johndrew 10:02 AM 29 Sep 11

More likely to be corrupt OS or HDD. Check your HDD is recognised in BIOS and/or check the connections to it - power off first.

birdface 10:09 AM 29 Sep 11

Will it start in safe mode.If so system repair might help.

I take it the time and date were running Ok.

Rayspan 17:21 PM 29 Sep 11

Thank you both. I forced shutdown once more, and left it to gaze at its navel for an hour or so. Started up, and this time booted OK. It's been running all day, now I'm dubious about shutting it down! First thing I did was to let Kasperski loose on it. After a complete check no faults found. Action centre flag was set to run system maintenance. All that found were unused shortcuts. Makes me think it might be thermal issue. All four cores are reporting 79C as they usually do. Does that seem high to you?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites