Boot fails sometimes

Air_Man 18:03 21 May 06

I have just finished rearranging my office and found that now the PC will not boot sometimes. I will fail 1,2 or 3 times, usually just as windows is starting, with a extremely quick blue screen of death.

Eventually it will start but it is very annoying and I don't know why as I can't read the error message as t is too fast.

I'm sure I've read about something somewhere (PCA?) and a search of this forum doesn't help (note to Ed: how about improving the site search engine a bit please - love the mag & site - grovel...).

Any pointers to similar threads or other advise would be most appreciated.

Thx

Oh: Win XP Pro, Asus A8N-SLI mobo, AMD 3500 64 CPU, 1xXFX Geforce 6600GT 256MB PCI-e, 1GB RAM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 21 May 06

Disable auto-reboot
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, ofter it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Air_Man 18:49 21 May 06

Thx Fruit Bat. Again, vague recollection of such an option but no joy myself.

I am so glad I found PCA!

Will post back on outcome (time to stop being techy and play some games ;-))

Air_Man 17:44 26 May 06

I disabled auto-reboot, but it seems to have not effect. It is still beginning the boot process and then crashing and restarting.

Any more ideas anyone?

Thx

Air_Man 19:00 10 Jul 06

Anyone - please! This is really bugging me now. Sometimes it starts first time, other times it can take 10 retries and 10 mins to start. There seems to be no pattern and without knowing what the message is, I can't try and solve it.

I'm on my knees begging now.....

martjc 19:17 10 Jul 06

...loose memory, or graphics card. Faulty power supply, or loose lead somewhere.
Open the case and check that all components are slotted in properly. It may be advisable to remove and then replace the above, making sure of a tight fit. Also, check power leads and data leads on your hard disks.

Air_Man 21:02 11 Jul 06

Thx martjc, I'll give them a check. Its just so annoying that I can't get it to show me the error message though - it might as well not bother - just reboot.

woodchip 21:34 11 Jul 06

Sounds like it may be having problems with a driver. How does it boot into Safe Mode? does it go OK?

Air_Man 12:53 15 Aug 06

Following the recent "death" of my PC, I've started again from scratch and found the error I was getting above is a "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" error and tracked the rogue software to the "nVidia IDE Driver SW" that comes on the MOBO install CD. It does have some text explaining why this is necessary (for RAID IDE drives with this MOBO) but it also explains it is not necessary for Windows to run if you are not using RAID IDE.

At last - one very annoying problem solved, and one less BSoD to worry about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…