boot up fails - smiley face appears

splodge 99 10:31 14 Sep 05

My husbands computer fails to start up. All he gets is a black screen with the cursor in the top left corner and a small rectangular smiley face in the middle. He can reboot and go in through set up and it works ok.Can anyone tell me what is going on and if its a virus or not. we are running XP on a compaq Presario 250Gb

rawprawn 10:36 14 Sep 05

I would run all the usual. Your AV, Adaware,Spybot, & A² in safe mode, if it will start in safe mode. (Tap F8 on boot)

splodge 99 10:48 14 Sep 05

Thanks. We have run all antis, and I put spybot on for him. We found lots of stuff and we are about to reboot and see if it has worked.Trouble is, it doesn't happen at every boot up. Thanks rawprawn. I will let you know what happens

961 13:21 14 Sep 05

These things can hide in System Restore and appear again. It may help to turn off system restore and clean again

It may also help to keep a note of the names of the stuff you find as this can enable you to find a specific cleaner if one is necessary

splodge 99 19:31 14 Sep 05

Thanks 961. We are waiting to see if it happens again. has anyone heard of this problem before. It must be malicious mustn't it.

Yoda Knight 19:35 14 Sep 05

Have you let anyone else on your pc recently ? It doesnt sound like any virus I've heard of, not that I keep tabs on them of course ! Just sounds like it could be some sort of "prank"

You can run online scans from click here or click here just to be on the safe side. Posting a HiJack this log may also produce some interesting results

De Marcus™ 19:35 14 Sep 05

You could try the 'ultimate boot disk' click here which will allow you to run some rudimentary virus scans and diagnostics from CD.

splodge 99 19:58 14 Sep 05

Thanks for your help. The computer is locked in my hubbies office and no-one else uses it. We thought it was a harmless prank too - until we couldnt boot it up. I will keep you posted.

splodge 99 21:52 15 Sep 05

Thanks for your help everyone - pc seems ok now. You are all stars!.

De Marcus™ 22:16 15 Sep 05

What worked?

splodge 99 22:28 15 Sep 05

Don't know what worked. I think it must have been virus and spyware antis run in safe mode. My hubby didn't keep a note of what was found like I would, he didn't realise the importance of it. The smiley face was only about 15 mm across by the way, but definatly not a mirage! Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…