boot up fail on xp

photo man 14:10 05 Mar 03

Somtimes when I boot up (in xp} the xp logo comes up okay and everthing seems fine but then the screen just goes blank, no welcome screen or anything and I have to switch off and start again.Moreoften than not it boots up okay the second time.Also I notice I am getting more (this page cannot be displayed errors}yet when I press the back arrow it comes up okay.Don't know if these are connected to the same problem or even just to xp but would be grateful for help on iether or both of them.

PHOTOMAN

SmiffyRebel 21:48 05 Mar 03

When you boot up press F8 as soon as the PC reboots and then you try safe boot you can also try system restore once the PC is up and running and restore your settings to an earlier time that you know was OK

howard60 22:12 05 Mar 03

going to start - run - msconfig then on the top right tab [startup] take out the ticks from everything except your virus checker and firewall [if installed] reboot and when the message screen comes up put a tick in the box not to tell you again. this may well sort you out. you can always put ticks back if needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…