Boot Error

Kitchie01 23:21 05 Oct 06

My computer has encountered a fault when i booted it up today. When i try to boot my system it runs the BIOS and when you should usually see the windows XP loading screen you get a message asking you how you want to boot with the following options:

Safe mode
safe mode with netowking
safe mode with command prompt
last known good configuration
start windows normally

i have tried all of the above options(and just let the time tick down to 0) and they all display the windows xp loading screen(with the blue scrolling bar), freeze power down and power up again; returning me to the boot option screen.

Here are some of my pc specs:

QDI P4I865PEMA-6AFL Motherboard
Pentium 4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB processor
2x 256Mb kingston PC2600 ram
80Gb Seagate Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro OS SP2

Many thanks

Ed

johnnyrocker 23:59 05 Oct 06

try using F8 during boot up to get in to safe mode and see what happens.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 00:00 06 Oct 06

you could also try system restore from there to before the prob occurred.

johnny.

woodchip 00:16 06 Oct 06

It could be any number of faults. Do you have a Full XP CD or a Recovery CD

Totally-braindead 00:21 06 Oct 06

Since you seem to be saying that you cannot get XP to start at all, even in safe mode and therefore couldn't even try system restore I think your only option would be to try a windows XP repair booting from the CD.

Kitchie01 11:30 06 Oct 06

i have a cd yes. would it be a reasonable idea to put my HDD into another computer and copy important documents off and then format and reinstall windows completly?

To Jhonny:

It will not allow me to use F8 as when i press F8 it comes with the same choice (safe mode, safe mode with netowrking...) and the same error occours.

woodchip 11:38 06 Oct 06

Yes you would be best doing what you say before messing with the disc

Kitchie01 11:42 06 Oct 06

thanks i will get on ebay and buy a IDE To USB kit. thanks for your help everyone

it_girl 11:49 06 Oct 06

My first thoughts were Cmos battery,psu power problem but something in the back of my mind remembers hard drive situation.
Look in the bios to see if the hard drive is recognised.
In the bios select Default setting,Save then Exit.See if any change.
Get Seagate or Maxtor tools to go onto a floopy so you can check the hdd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:57 06 Oct 06

You arebooting to hard drive ok because you get the menu, therefore problem is corrupt windows boot files.

A windows repair from the CD will not overwrite any of your data.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

woodchip 15:06 06 Oct 06

AS it goes to BIOS it may be a settings problem. Try loading defalts in BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…