Boot drive has letter I instead of C

Awestruck 13:31 19 Mar 09

I installed new SATA hard drive for a friend. Unfortunately I did not disconnect the card reader or the second CD and now the boot drive is letter I instead of C.
I disconnected the card reader and Second CD and tried to reinstall Windows XP from the XP CD.
It just installed XP again without any option for me to delete the partition or open the Recovery Console. The disk remains stubbornly letter I.
It seems the set-up files for XP are on the disk and it just thinks that it is finishing an install.
I had hoped that by booting from the XP CD I would be able to select a clean install and delete the existing partition I, but it did not allow me to do that.
I cannot format the disk to put it back to out-of-the-box condition.

I think I may have to pay for another drive for my friend and install it with the card reader and second CD disconnected, unles one of you clever fellows can offer a better suggestion?

regards

Awestruck

Graphicool1 14:03 19 Mar 09

1 - Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 2. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.

2 - Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.

3 - Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4 - Click Add.

5 - Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.

6 - Click OK.

ventanas 14:05 19 Mar 09

Won't work for the system drive, it's a bit more complicated than that.

click here

This tells you how to do it.

Graphicool1 14:09 19 Mar 09

I think I should go and have a lay down. :¬]

gazzaho 16:35 19 Mar 09

When you installed the SATA drive did you set the boot order in the BIOS to recgonise the drive as the boot drive? My BIOS lets me select the drive I choose to boot from which shows in my BIOS as [HD:SM-SAMSUNG HD7] If I connect another drive I can set it to boot instead of this one.

If the BIOS has another drive assigned as the boot drive Windows won't allow you to change the drive letter. I would set the BIOS boot device priority to:
1st device to the DVD drive
2nd to the new SATA drive

Then reboot with the XP cd in the drive and install from there.

Awestruck 18:16 19 Mar 09

ventanas, I clicked the link and it took me to the MS article which I have visited before. However, I did not use it because of the warning. In my case the drive letter has not changed it set itself up initially as drive I.
The warning was as follows:-
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else.

Gazzaho, I did set the DVD/CD drive to be the boot drive and ran the XP CD from there. However it then just assumed that an earlier attempt at installation needed to finish. It did not show me the window with choice of New copy or R for recovery console.

The I disk contains some XP set up files which are causing the XP CD to finish an unfinished installation. The installion actually is finished and works fine except that the disk is I instead of C.

I need to return the disk to its out-of box state so that I can do a normal install of XP.

canarieslover 19:09 19 Mar 09

Can you put hard drive in another computer as second drive and reformat it?

Awestruck 19:55 20 Mar 09

Thank you canaries lover. I will try putting the drive in my computer and then format it. Any special precautions before I do this?
Regards Awestruck

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 20 Mar 09

Change system Drive Letter click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now