Boot drive change

sputnick 10:55 25 Nov 09

I`m having another senior moment.
I am dual booting from 2 separate drives, C drive is boot drive with Windows XP,
next drive is Windows 7 RC.
All works fine and I get the option to boot from either system.
I want to get rid of C drive with XP, but if I disconnect it the next drive will not boot and get a message to insert system disk.
How can I get the W7 drive to boot.

Eric10 11:05 25 Nov 09

My Asus motherboard has an option in the BIOS to select the order of the Hard drives. It's under Boot, Hard Drives and then you can change the order of the hard drives with the first drive listed being the boot drive. This shouldn't be confused with the Boot Order for CD, Floppy, HDD, etc. The option is also only available when more than one HDD is fitted.

sputnick 11:47 25 Nov 09

I have been into bios and all drives are set at boot from Hard drive.
I have made W7 drive as ACTIVE,but when booting i get a message that NTLDR is missing.
It seems that the W7 drive does not want to boot without C drive being the boot drive.

T0SH 12:22 25 Nov 09

If you remove the C:\ drive you remove the boot files they are always located on the C:\ drive regarless of which drive the OS is installed

Cheers HC

sputnick 12:23 25 Nov 09

Just to clear a few points.
C drive is IDE set as master, D drive is Sata with W7 on, E drive is also sata but only as a drive for large files such as pictures.
I tried to do a re-install of W7 after unplugging IDE drive (XP) and got a message that there was nowhere to put temporary files during setup.
I`m wondering if somehow during original W7 installation it used C drive somehow.
If i disconnect C drive and try to boot it wont, and after re-connecting C drive I have to go back into Bios and make it Boot drive.

sputnick 12:30 25 Nov 09

Thanks Tosh,
That makes sense.
How then can I get rid of my C drive and make the sata drive C, I presume that if I do that I will have to do a re- install of W7

retep888 15:04 25 Nov 09

Go to your bios setup and change the sata configuration to IDE,and to make life easy,disconnect the IDE HDD while re-installing Win7 on the SATA drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…