Boot Diskette problem - new build

Twirl 19:11 03 Jun 03

HI

I've built a simple (so I thought!) system using an M810 mobo but cannot get it to recognise any boot diskettes. It always comes up with the following message and will not let me get to partition or install the operating system (Win 98SE).

"Boot failure
Insert Boot diskette in A
Press any key etc ..."

I have tried a second floppy drive from another pc, other Boot Disks (including one downloaded from Maxtor's web site) and tried a different floppy cable - always the same.

I have it set to boot from floppy first, then hard drive. The bios appear to recognise all the drives.

Can any one out there help please ?
Twirl

billyliv 20:05 03 Jun 03

Hi, Why not set your Bios to boot from the CD-rom and put your installation disc in. Cheers, Bill. Ps. I like the spell checker that the F.E. kindly put us onto.

Twirl 22:51 03 Jun 03

Many thanks Bill. System up and running. Still can't get the floppy on board - but will use CD-Rs - so sighs of relief all round this end.

Cheers!
Twirl

billyliv 10:09 04 Jun 03

Hi, Glad your up and running but if the installation didn't set up all the generic drivers then you will need the motherboard drivers to enable your 'Floppy Controller' Check this out by going into your 'Control Panel', click on 'System', click on 'device Manager', look for the Floppy controller and you will probably see a yellow exclamation mark against it. This will confirm the drivers are not properly installed. Cheers, Bill

Twirl 16:27 04 Jun 03

Thanks again Bill

Checked Device Manager and sure enough there was a very smart yellow exclam mark. I removed the controller and floppy from the system and rebooted - the machine then picked out the new hardware and the floppy is now working. I can even get a boot disk up and running.

Thank you so much for your advice - this site will have to be my new Home Page from now on!
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…