Boot disk & XP

cottager 20:38 18 Jan 04

A friend is having problems with her computer that came preloaded with XP. She has a restore CD but no boot disk. The problem is being caused by an alert from Norton av and when the alert is okayed or closed the PC immediately closes down and reboots. We can't get past this point so I thought using a boot disk in the A drive and then doing a recovery via the CD would enable us to get the PC up and running again.
So my question is how do you make a boot disk in XP? I know how to do this from Win 98SE via the Add/Remove programme but aint suffiently up to scratch with the wonders of XP.
Any help will be gratefully received
Cottager

VoG II 20:43 18 Jan 04

I'm assuming that you want to do a repair installation, cottager. It is rather different in XP - although a W98 startup disk might work. However, I would recommend:

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

VoG II 20:45 18 Jan 04

She has no boot disk! click here

Big Elf 20:45 18 Jan 04

Also look at this thread click here

Big Elf 20:47 18 Jan 04

If you can't find the boot.bin file by the way then email me as I have a copy.

wawadave 20:47 18 Jan 04

hello
in ms sight there is a place to d/l the 4 bootfloppy images to be able to use recovery consol sfc ect if you dont had a full install cd of xp this is the route to be done i dont have a link sorry

powerless 20:49 18 Jan 04

Restore CD?

Which Manufacturer?

VoG II 20:49 18 Jan 04

Yep it is 6 floppies plus click here for how to use the Recovery Console. click here

What file does Norton seize-up on?

cottager 20:53 18 Jan 04

Many thanks. Thats just the info I needed.

Cottager x

cottager 21:00 18 Jan 04

Answered your 1st question before reading your 2nd. Have no idea as I'm flying blind that is over the phone!!!!! However I have just learnt that her hubby had an email from a "friend" who sent the "delete this file" so the husband being a very tidy person did so! So I am assuming this is the original cause and Norton keeps stepping in to restore/repair something it can't do.
It is not possible to do anything within the programme as this alert is on screen but as soon as it is closed down or ok pressed then the pc closes down immediately and reboots back to the same place!
Hence the boot disks and going that way around the problem. Be so much easier if Norton wasn't there then the CD restore disk could be used - yes apparently Evesham.com provided one.
cottager

VoG II 21:10 18 Jan 04

I'll bet something is stuck in a restore point. Before trying an XP repair, turn off SR, scan with Norton, then turn on SR again click here

Logic: AV can detect viruses in Restore Points but they are protected files so repair is not possible (unless Powerless chips in).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…