boot from disk option

mandylyn 13:32 21 Oct 09

I want to reformat my hard drive but I am having a problem getting the PC to boot from disk.
I have changed all 4 options on the bios to 'boot from disk' but the problem I have is although I only have one disk drive 'my computer' shows two - the 'b' drive is the working one but how can I set the bios to boot from that particular drive.
I don't have a cd boot disk.

beeuuem 15:56 21 Oct 09

When you say 'boot from disk' do you mean a hard drive or a CD?
The normal BIOS boot sequence is 1st - HDD: 2nd- CD drive, though you need this to be reversed if you want to boot from a CD/DVD.
The B drive is never normally used as this was reserved for a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive which are obsolete these days.
How are you proposing to reformat the hard drive?

mandylyn 15:59 22 Oct 09

I AM TRYING TO BOOT FROM A FLOPPY AS I DON'T HAVE A BOOT CD.
I HAVE PREVIOUSLY REFORMATTED AN OLDER PC FROM MS DOS USING A FLOPPY.
I DO HAVE A FLOPPY DRIVE BUT AS I SAID EVEN THOUGH LL 4 OPTIONS ARE SET TO 'BOOT FROM FLOPPY' I JUST GET A MESSAGE SAYING 'INSERT DISK INTO A DRIVE'.
THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD AS I JUST WANT TO WIPE THE HARD DRIVE & REINSTALL WIN ME THEN UPGRADE TO XP - I HAVE THESE CD'S.
THE ONLY OTHER OPTION I HAVE IS TO REPLACE THE HARD DRIVE ITSELF......

Quiller. 18:27 22 Oct 09

You said in your other thread that you were running XP. Is the XP disk an upgrade disk for ME?

If it is download ME boot disk from click here and place it in the floppy drive and format the hard drive. Load ME from dos and then upgrade to XP.

If the XP disk is full retail or OEM. You have to boot from the cdrom. To do that we need your motherboard make and model, so we can show you how to configure the bios to boot from cdrom.

sharpamat 19:49 22 Oct 09

first presume that you have backed up all your data that you want to save as this will be lost,

The message you are getting I think you are misreading it. The actual message I think is to incert a Disc ( the floppy ) into drive A which is the floppy drive.

You will first need a start up disc, (A Floppy )for your A Drive If you dont have one then Dick Tattor post shows where to get one from and place this onto a floppy

Ensure your HD partions do not excede 130mb and it may help to reset the BIOS to fail safe defaults dont forget to save on exit.

Place your floppy in the drive. and then use fdisc to format the Drive. ( full instructions are in the forums )

After the drive is clean reboot again with the floppy in the drive, you will be an option to use CD support select this and you will then be able to install your ME from CD

Terry Brown 21:48 22 Oct 09

On the Floppy Drive cable, you have connections for 2 floppy drives, try unplugging the cable and using the other connection to get 'A' Drive.

You can also put the boot system onto a thumb drive and use that as a 'floppy', drive, which will become either A or B on a clean boot
Terry

mandylyn 13:44 25 Oct 09

I am not misreading the message - I am trying to go into MS DOS loading from a floppy.
As i said I have set bios to load from floppy but the floppy drive light does not even come on - despite working normally under normal circumstances.
If I use a boot cd rom will I be able to get into MS DOS so I can reformat my drive that way?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 25 Oct 09

Make sure FDC floppy drive controller is enabled in BIOS

Ex plorer 14:14 25 Oct 09

Hi once you put the disk into A drive you must restart the PC,

click here

Scroll down to this section.
How to Format a Hard Drive with Windows 95, 98, or ME

I have formated and put ME on PCs and you will need the ME disket provided with ME CD.

Ex plorer 14:17 25 Oct 09

Shoould read
I have formated and put ME on PCs and you will need the ME disket provided with ME CD to install ME.

Eric10 14:47 25 Oct 09

If you really do need to boot from a floppy drive designated as B: then you need to enable "Swap Floppy drive" in the BIOS. This allows the computer to see the B: drive as A: and allows booting from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant