Boot disk needed?

waydekirrane 10:26 22 Jan 04

I'm not sure what i did to my home computer but when i tried to turn it on yesterday it constantly asked for a boot disk from drive A: This message keeps bleeping till i turn the computer off. where do i get a boot disk from and once i can get into XP Pro can i resolve this problem

thanks for looking

wayde

smegs 10:27 22 Jan 04
  waydekirrane 10:36 22 Jan 04

do i click on this on my desktop and then it will create a boot disk on the A drive. it's just i'm at work and don't want to mess up my work computer!!

smegs 10:43 22 Jan 04

Sorry waydekirrane, I don't know what U mean. If Ur at work, then I would leave it till I got home, so U can download then save to dick. Is that what U mean?

smegs 10:44 22 Jan 04

So SORRY, that should be DISK!!!! :-(((

waydekirrane 10:48 22 Jan 04

ooo er!! that's the problem. i can't start my home computer as it asks for boot disk. i wanted to make this disk at work then bring it home. the file i have downloaded click here is an exe file. i was just wondering exactly what this does! i don't want to click on it if i'm not sure. i think it creates a boot disc on the floppy but don't want to risk messing up work computer!!

smegs 10:48 22 Jan 04

I've just downloaded the Boot DISK, opened the folder and it's come up with a screen telling me I will need 6 floppy disks to create the start up disk.

Big Elf 10:51 22 Jan 04

If you've got a problem with your XP installation then set the BIOS to boot from CD and put the XP CD in the drive. You may need to do a repair to get it fixed click here

Terrahawk 10:51 22 Jan 04

if you download the file stick a floppy into the A:\ drive double click the file you have downloaded it will write to the floppy disk, once complete you can delete the file you have downloaded as it is now on a floppy,the only problem you may hit is being at work i would be very suprised if your company would allow you download .exe files.So may well be a job at home.
Alternativly if you have an xp cd this will allow you to boot

smegs 10:52 22 Jan 04

I'm using XP home, so I stoped where it went to make the floppies. It went to like a DOS page. Not sure what it does after that. Sorry. Have U got a floppy drive on works Pc??

waydekirrane 11:00 22 Jan 04

yes, but i don't have 6 disks! i better get on the case. there's bound to be some lying around here somewhere!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5