Boot disk failure after Norton Ghost

Cams 22:40 21 Jan 04

Related apps: Norton Ghost 2003 (from Systemworks 2003) with all updates

After a whole week of headaches reformatting and reinstalling WinXP Pro, I got to the final stage this evening. I took a Ghost image of the working XP installation "out the box" as it were, with only drivers and Windows updates. I then took another with minimum applications for my daily work. Then finally I spent the evening installing various non-critical applications and planned on a final Ghost image.

I'm using Ghost image from Windows, not the floppy. I set it up to copy an image of the partition to my slave HDD. All went as it ought; I got the warning that Windows would have to close to carry out the task, okayed it, and sat back.

I was greeted with the message: Boot disk failure

I booted the system off my slave HDD to have a look at what was going on and here's what I found:

(I tried to take a screenshot and upload but my FTP client won't connect)

All the partitions were in tact, including the one I wanted to ghost, so I was able to ghost it anyway, this time using the Ghost floppy. There was an extra partition of 8MB that wasn't there before, called -VPSGHBOOT-; it contains the following:
GHOST (directory) containing: -GDISK.EXE -GHOST.EXE -GHREBOOT.EXE -GHSTWALK.EXE -GHWRAP.EXE -GSCRIPT.TXT -imgdescp.txtE.EXE.EXEE.INIEHELP.HLPIBMBIO.COMIBMDOS.COMMBR.BINMOUSE.COM

I tried to look at EHELP.HLP and got the message: The EHELP.HLP file is not a Windows help file, or the file is corrupted.

The content of E.INI is as follows:

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; This file is used to override the default configuration values of the
; E Editor. For instructions on changing these values, refer to the
; initialization file (.INI) information in your PC DOS documentation.
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTOSAVE=0
AUTOSAVEPATH=
AUTOSHELL=ON
BACKUPPATH=
BOXCOLOR=14
COMMANDCOLOR=48
CURSORCOLOR=112
FILENAMECOLOR=7
FUNCTIONKEYTEXTCOLOR=3
MARKCOLOR=113
MENUCOLOR=48
MENUDITHERCOLOR=56
MENUSELECTCOLOR=19
MENUSTATUSCOLOR=11
MESSAGECOLOR=12
STATUSCOLOR=7
WINDOWCOLOR=23
MONOBOXCOLOR=7
MONOCOMMANDCOLOR=112
MONOCURSORCOLOR=7
MONOFILENAMECOLOR=7
MONOFUNCTIONKEYTEXTCOLOR=7
MONOMARKCOLOR=112
MONOMENUCOLOR=112
MONOMENUDITHERCOLOR=112
MONOMENUSELECTCOLOR=7
MONOMENUSTATUSCOLOR=7
MONOMESSAGECOLOR=7
MONOSTATUSCOLOR=7
MONOWINDOWCOLOR=7
DEFAULTSEARCHOPTIONS=
DISCARDTEMPFILES=OFF
ENTERKEY=STREAM
CTRLENTERKEY=NEXTLINE
EXPAND=ON
MARGINS=1 254 1
MATCHTAB=OFF
TABS=8
TEMPFILENAME=E.TMP
WINDOWMODE=TILED
MAXDELETEDRECORDS=50
RESTOREMARKAFTERSORT=ON
SETSTAY=OFF
SAVEWITHTABS=OFF
CURSORONCOMMAND=OFF
DEFAULTINSERT=ON
DEFAULTPRINTER=LPT1
MACROPATH=
EOFMODE=ON
CINDENT=3
REXXINDENT=3

I then had a look at Disk Management and found that there is 11.77GB of unallocated space on the master drive that was allocated before, so I presume Ghost has put this aside for temporary use.

Google has yielded no help and I'm now stuck. I have thought about simply deleting the 8MB Ghost partition and then seeing whether it boots up, but I wanted to ask the board for some advice before doing so, just in case I can resolve this. If I can't I could simply format the partiton and reinstall the Ghost image, but if the entire partition is corrupt, then my Ghost image no doubt will also be corrupt. I would still have the image with critical apps, but it will still be a major PITA to have to install all my non-critical apps all over again.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cams

jimv7 22:53 21 Jan 04

I have never had any problems with ghost as used from the floppy boot, have you tried it that way, and do you still get this error.

woodchip 22:56 21 Jan 04

Ho if only you had used Drive Image

Kalitechnis 22:57 21 Jan 04

I'm afraid I cannot help you, but I have recently done the same as you..new slave HD, re-install of windows, etc., only I chose Acronis True Image, rather than Ghost or Drive Image.
The main reason is that my brain goes black when I see those dos screens. With True Image, you work entirely in Windows. You are led through the process with the greatest of clarity, and can even continue working while an image is being taken.
I have restored my initial image several times (a pretty speedy process), with not a glitch to report.

I am exceedingly happy I chose True Image. (I had not even seen Ghost or Drive Image..reading reviews that TI -especially the latest version 7- was very highly rated, and worked entirely in Windows, was enough for me. Plus it is the cheapest of the lot!)

I'm sorry this is of no help to you in your present predicament, but if like me you're no computer expert, and to you DOS = Darkess, then you could always try TI!

Hope you sort out your problem,

K

gudgulf 00:27 22 Jan 04

Have recently tried ghost----- not successful as it froze up at the pc dos screen.The only way to get back into my windows partition was to delete the 8Gb patrtition you mention using Acronis OS selector--making sure the my Original C-drive was set to active first.

Cams 09:03 22 Jan 04

Thank you all for your responses. Thankfully, I've managed to solve the problem. The solution was found hidden away on Symantec's site.

The answer lay in the Ghost reboot utility, ghreboot.exe. It seems that when working with Ghost from Windows it creates a partition and alters the master boot record so that at reboot the Ghost partition will boot up allowing it to do its business. For some reason or other, this didn't happen. Looking at disk management shows that a possible reason is that the Ghost partition is beyond the bootable sector range of the physical disk, although I've used it before in this way without any problems.

Another possible reason is that was using PC-DOS and not MS-DOS, although I don't claim to understand the difference.

Anyway, I had to boot up to get an a:> prompt and from there, execute ghreboot.exe. Problem solved.

From now on I shall only use the Ghost floppy. Thankfully, Ghost 2003 doesn't present you with a serial number and then subsequently ask for it as Ghost 2002 did. This was a real problem for me as my clone IBM "clicking" keyboard doesn't work in DOS for some reason. Which reminds me, time to put this Microsoft one away and get the clicker back in its place!

Cams

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…