Boot "Disk error I/O" - Press any key to continue.

nilocm 20:14 04 Apr 03

I tried to boot my PC with a floppy boot disk and all I get is the report that there is a "Disk error I/O". My system is a Gigabyte
GA-7ZX, AMD 850 Duron, 256 Mb SDRam. I have the latest BIOS ver fg. Can anyone help please?

I have tried different Floopy drive/cable and also different Boot disks.

Legolas 20:21 04 Apr 03

Can you try another FDD

Legolas 20:23 04 Apr 03

Sorry did,nt read your post correctly. Can you boot into an a: prompt and try scanning your c: drive

LastChip 20:25 04 Apr 03

Four questions!

What operating system are you using?

Can you "see the content's" of a floppy disk in Windows Explorer?

How are you making your boot disks?

What are you trying to achieve?

nilocm 20:38 04 Apr 03

First thank you for speedy responses.

OS is Win ME

I can boot from the HDD and can view the files on the floppy in explorer.

Boot disk made using Operating System.

I am trying to configure a HDD, using fdisk etc.

I suspect it might be a BIOS problem!!

LastChip 20:44 04 Apr 03

Are you making a system start-up disk, or just a floppy with the system files?

When you have made your disk, is Windows indicating all is well? In other words, your not receiving any error messages for example.

Is it possible for you to test your disk on a different computer?

nilocm 20:52 04 Apr 03

I am making a Start-up disk and I don't get any error messages. I can boot my other computer with the disk.

My HDD is a Seagate drive and I tried one of their Diagnostic disk utilities which I downloaded from their web site. When I used the disk I got another error messages saying that my PC was unable to load their DRDos.

LastChip 21:02 04 Apr 03

Do you know if the HDD was originally formatted with the Seagate utility.

I am getting the feeling that there is some software in the boot sector, that requires you to take some action on boot-up to access the floppy. This is most commonly used, if the BIOS does not recognize a large hard drive.

It's a while since I have come across this, but I think you have to hit a "F" key or something, to access the floppy drive.

Take a good look at the boot-up pages (you can always use the Pause button to allow you time to read), and see if there is any indication of this.

woodchip 21:27 04 Apr 03

I think you are right in thinking Disc Overlay software as been used on the disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…