BOOT UP DISCS...WHAT'S THE POINT?

rotormota 15:24 22 Jan 07

Hi,

I use Acronis 8 to back up my entire PC to an external drive every day. With this in mind is it necessary to create a set of boot discs too?

Secondly if the PC entered the blue screen of death for instance or any other state resulting in a non boot, assuming one can still get these rescue discs into the PC ROM or writer drive how do they work? Presumably they would be no good at all if the boot problem was a hardware issue such as a failed motherboard?

Thanks,
Regards,
Jules.

Totally-braindead 15:50 22 Jan 07

If the motherboard was knackered you're entirely correct a backup and a boot disk would not help. Until of course you got a replacement motherboard and then you could use them to get your PC back to what it was before.
Boot disks can be handy if something happens and you cannot get windows to start. If this happens then how would you be able to get to the info on your hard drive backup? That is when a bootdisk is useful. You can boot from the CDROM bootdisk and reinstall from your Acronis image.

rawprawn 15:54 22 Jan 07

I needed and used my Acronis boot disc 2 weeks ago, I was upgrading Acronis and inadvertently switched the computer off at the mains. This caused a serious problem and the machine would not boot at all (Failed to find OS) I put the boot disc in and changed the boot order and low and behold all was well.My bacon saved once more.
If your motherboard has gone then make certain that you also have a backup on an exterior or slave HD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 22 Jan 07

Presumably they would be no good at all if the boot problem was a hardware issue such as a failed motherboard?

Correct an image file is only any good to replace corrupt operating system files or corrupt program files.Can also be used to backup data files.

It will not work if hardware such as MObo CPU memory hdd CD/DVD or psu has failed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…