First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc.

Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive.

Long Live the Floppy!

You can do the same on a CD make a bootable CD with NERO and burn the files to It.

woodchip 18:18 06 May 09

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

woodchip 19:58 06 May 09

Nobody bothered

Stuartli 20:06 06 May 09

Life's short enough without floppy disk creating and booting up practice...:-)

But it is a useful reference.

lotvic 20:49 06 May 09

I made one a while back when you posted a 'howto'
it enabled me to fix a pc I was sorting out.

Many thanks woodchip :)

woodchip 23:10 06 May 09

glad to help

howard64 12:15 07 May 09

woodchip is this a new/advanced version or just a reminder of the old one you gave us a while back? I have used it a few times with either full success or failure, obviously depending on what was wrong with the pc. Good to have in the back pocket - thanks again.

woodchip 15:19 07 May 09

Reminder, as a lot been having booting problems of late

David4637 15:38 07 May 09

Why in your procedure do you need to do this -
"Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive"

I would have thought that you copied this file not moved it to the floppy, hence my query, unless it must be deleted from the root to make the floppy disc boot up fully?
Thanks David

woodchip 21:36 07 May 09

I did not say anything about copy NTLDR, other than if it was a problem of why they cannot boot. I posted this so people who could not get into windows may have a chance so they can work with the system to put it right, like running System Restore or Disc check etc

lotvic 22:49 07 May 09

<<Why in your procedure do you need to do this -
"Then copy NTLDR back from floppy to the root of the drive">>

You do this if the reason you can't boot into your OS is because 'NTLDR is missing' (and that is the message that comes up on the screen when your OS won't boot up.)

You can then replace the corrupt/missing NTLDR on your harddrive with the good one that you have previously copied onto your floppy. It enables you to 'mend' the boot procedure so that you can then boot up normally from C:\ after the next shutdown.

You make the floppy boot disc BEFORE you have any problems. It is a handy rescue disc to have in certain situations.

You alter the boot sequence in BIOS to make floppy the first boot device.
You don't delete anything from the harddrive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac